Overzealous hoa neighbors

Reaction score
Hi,

new here. I got into cams when moving into a new house in a new neighborhood. Before the neighborhood was even finished some anonymous note writer was prowling the neighborhood, taping notes to people's doors and quoting excerpts of our covenants. Grass 1/8" too long? OFF WITH THEIR HEADS! The actual hoa board (as opposed to the self appointed types) have lives, and have actually been totally cool and holds this behavior in similar esteem as I do.

however I was not cool with the idea of some possibly mentally unbalanced individual with too much free time prowling around my place or entering my backyard.

At the moment I have costco uniden wireless cams outside and a dlink inside pointed out the window with its ir disabled. What can I say... The uniden works mostly but I am sure ready for an upgrade now that I'm into this as a hobby.

The cams are highly visible, you would have to be in neutral mentally not to see them when approaching the house. They seem to have done the trick, I suspect a person without the guts to sign a name to a note also does not like having picture taken.

Super Dave 98052

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Some of the folks running HOA are often power hungry nut jobs. For example i've seen them complain when a homeowner rebuilt a deck (the old one was rotting and all the neighborhood decks are in disrepair) they had issue because the material used was not "wood grain"..this is a rear deck and it looks beautiful...
You just gotta stand up to them and make it clear that you will fight them if you have to. Then, demand a detailed accounting of all expenditures over the past 10 years - that will usually shut them up quick. If they pursue any legal action make sure to get an accounting of all the money they are spending on litigation and send that information to everyone in the neighborhood...note that many of these HOA agreements have fee shifting provisions that allow attorney fees to the prevailing party - that could be a good or bad thing :)

LittleBrother

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Hopefully your HOA allows cameras :)

I lived in an HOA once and wish I did again, as I have some neighbors who live like slobs and truly trash the value of the neighborhood. of course, the best neighbors are trees.

People absolutely do behave better when being filmed, though.

Daffy

n3wb
Reaction score
Hopefully your HOA allows cameras :)

I lived in an HOA once and wish I did again, as I have some neighbors who live like slobs and truly trash the value of the neighborhood. of course, the best neighbors are trees.

People absolutely do behave better when being filmed, though.
Moved to the sticks moons ago, closest neighbor is ~1 mile down. Comes with other issues for sure but I ain't never had a dispute with a human whilst living here and I tend to win the ones with the occasional varmit.