Paintcam

Reaction score
Just read about this. It’s not clear whether or not it’s an IP camera. I would expect that these days, but no specs shared by the manufacturer, so who knows?

I love the concept in some ways, but the potential for things to go wrong is daunting. In the U.S. this would be a lawsuit waiting to happen, not to mention likelihood of getting dropped by home insurance carriers.

Not just the projectiles could be a problem, but the brochure site also mentions a laser. Depending on the nanometer frequency, many lasers can and will cause permanent eye injury. Note: I used to work in the LIDAR industry.

Anyhow, sharing this as I got a kick out of it. This seemed like the most appropriate place in the forum to me to share it since it’s hardware.

It will be interesting to see if this goes anywhere and/or how long it takes before some jurisdiction decides to ban them.

actran

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

ThomasCamFan

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
At my previous house I was having an ongoing problem with wild turkeys digging in the front yard gardens. They made a huge mess. I tried a couple different motion sensing sprinklers from Amazon but they were unreliable.

The winning solution was a DiY automated water sprayer that used my home automation system, an existing Dahua IP security camera, irrigation valve, and Rainbird type impulse sprinkler. The camera's IVS was setup using intrusion zones with small object sizes (turkey size) to prevent squirting bigger things like people. The IVS events were sent to the home automation controller and a rule was triggered to turn on a WiFi sprinkler valve.

It worked great. The turkeys continued to raid my property, but were chased away every time by the automated sprinkler. I enjoyed watching them run from the defense system when they visited. Of course the activity was recorded since the observation camera was part of my security system.

TurkeyVisit_10-11-2021c.jpg

The only cruel episode was when a little Cub Scout kid visited. Every time he stepped on our property the spray would get him. He gave it three tries before giving up and going back to the car that had dropped him off. I felt bad for the unintended friendly fire.

- Thomas