Painting a camera to help it blend in

scoob8000

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The thought has came to mind several times over the years but I never really had a solid reason for it

But I'm thinking about adding a camera to my deck which is a dark brown. That white camera is going to stand out like a sore peter.
The one I'm thinking about using has a plastic housing but a metal support arm.

My thought is to find a spray paint that matches the deck pretty closely and carefully tape over the lens, ir emitters, serial number sticker, etc

Pretty straightforward I think. Anyone do similar? Certain brands of paint work better than others in the elements?

Sammyf

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have painted some cameras (with metallic housing) with rubber paint. Held well so far for over a year and if needed, it could be peeled off. It does help to blend the cameras in.
There’s also some topics with examples of people painting their cameras.

Rob2020

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Build a faux birdhouse around the camera is another solution you might have not thought of, use a Milwaukee hole dozer saw bit sized for the front lens and it will blend in nicely. Buy one 4" x 6' cedar picket for a couple bucks at Home Depot and you will have all the wood you need, it blends and weathers naturally.

scoob8000

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
That works way better than the built in forum search function. I did search but got so many un-related results I got pissed and made a new thread. :)

Build a faux birdhouse around the camera is another solution you might have not thought of, use a Milwaukee hole dozer saw bit sized for the front lens and it will blend in nicely. Buy one 4" x 6' cedar picket for a couple bucks at Home Depot and you will have all the wood you need, it blends and weathers naturally.
That's an idea! I actually have used a similar idea for mounting "smart" motion sensors outside. They give a little protection, plus more room for a bigger battery.

Rob2020

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I have two cams hidden in birdhouses, the only visible part of the camera is the actual lens which is flush with the front. From a reasonable distance, the lens just looks like the opening. I was concerned about birds flying up pecking, etc, it has been a non-issue. the birds leave it alone 99% of the time. In two years of use I have captured one or two birds flying up close to inspect and then they gave up.

scoob8000

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have two cams hidden in birdhouses, the only visible part of the camera is the actual lens which is flush with the front. From a reasonable distance, the lens just looks like the opening. I was concerned about birds flying up pecking, etc, it has been a non-issue. the birds leave it alone 99% of the time. In two years of use I have captured one or two birds flying up close to inspect and then they gave up.
That reminds me. I used to see ads for a birdfeeder with a built in camera to catch up close shots of them when they'd fly up to eat.

Starglow

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
These are cedar and reduced 31% to $18. I have one in my yard for 4 years now on a T-pole, I have a cam inside for the bluebirds, not facing out. I posted it because it's meant for outdoors.
Wild Wings WWCH3 Cedar Blue Bird Box House
The woodpeckers around here would peck some nice big holes in that cedar like they did on my cedar wood bat house. :mad:

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The woodpeckers around here would peck some nice big holes in that cedar like they did on my cedar wood bat house. :mad:
I'm in the Bankhead National Forest and we've got those H-U-G-E pileated woodpeckers. I think that's the bird they modeled Woody Woodpecker after. So far in the 17 years we've been here they haven't done anything like that, but there's always that chance! :cool:

female-pileated.jpg

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Speaking of "17 years" and there's "always that chance"....^^^

Finally had squirrels chew a hole in a gable vent and move in last week, made noises during the night. I think that by Sunday night they had erected a swing set and a trampoline. The guy came out and sprayed a mixture of natural repellent (peppermint, eucalyptus, clove, etc.) today; will come out tomorrow, see if they vacated and if they did, put galvanized hardware cloth over the damaged vent and also the undamaged one.

I call it a "squirrel exorcism"... :cool:

HMC8403

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Check this out.

scoob8000

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Check this out.
They really do look so much better blended in. My friends and neighbors think I'm nuts with cams all over my house and garage. :)