PAL or NTSC NVR Does it really matter ???

marid2apterbilt

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Does it really matter when output to a tv or montoR at 1080p or hdmi
I know you can mix cameRAS with ntsC nvr.

Anyone in USA using a PAL NVR. More specifically DAHUA ???

johnm

n3wb
Reaction score
I have the same question. I just ordered a Dahua NVR4216-4K for use in the USA. I didn't realize that the NVR4216-4K was PAL, but my camera order was NTSC.

Should I expect any issues? If there a way to upgrade the firmware of the NVR4216-4K to NTSC? Thanks!

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I am using a 4216-4k pal with a NTSC TV and a mixture of NTSC and PAL cameras.. absolutely no issues.

The 4216-4k is only avilable in PAL.

The ONLY thing you can differentiate from PAL vs NTSC is in the settings: NTSC has a higher framerate celling (5fps), and PAL has higher substream resolutions..

otherwise the video is encoded exactly the same, at the same main resolutions; there is no difference.

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
If you are using any florescent lights at 60Hz then you will get flickering using PAL cameras.

johnm

n3wb
Reaction score
Okay, so I'm in good shape that I have NTSC cameras and a PAL Dahua NVR. Thanks everyone.

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
False, here is my PAL Only LPR camera clearly showing the 60Hz Anti Flicker being avilable.
This is different. If you're setting them to 60Hz then it's not on PAL for input is it.

My point is, as for the Chinese xxx5 PAL Hikvision cameras, if you are running them at 50Hz in NA where there is no option to run them at 60Hz then you will get flicker with florescent lighting. If the camera is PAL but allows it to run the INPUT as NTSC 50Hz then it doesn't matter what the output is.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
it does not allow the input to run at NTSC.. this camera is PAL only and supports both 50Hz and 60Hz.. the drop down has no NTSC option and the camera is a Chinese model only.. it even has an analouge output that is quite definitely a PAL format that none of my gear will work with

every one of my Dahua China market only PAL cameras has an anti-flicker setting supporting both 50Hz and 60Hz.. same with NTSC cameras

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Hikvision xxx5 doesn't (from what Q2U and everyone else says). I'm actually going to have to plug the one I bought ages ago in to make sure.

All that matters is the flicker rate. If it's 60Hz it's NTSC, if it's 50Hz it's PAL. If it supports both then great. The issue is when they don't.

Notice the difference? Me neither hahaha

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
that only applies to analouge, we are digital.. there is no Hz in digital video, its just a video processing algorithm to remove the flicker from light sources.. just because Hikvision dont support both 50 and 60Hz anti-flicker dont mean its not possible.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
this video does a better job of explaining how the 60Hz fits into the NTSC standard for analouge video:

hint: its the rate the electron beam scans the image, which of course is not applicable to digital signals.