Paper Delivery Hit and Run

th182

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Neighbor's paper delivery driver was kind enough to slam into another neighbors car and take off last week. By the looks of his car, he has done this plenty before! Police have the plate and will have the videos soon.

dok0619

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
nice . Two things are obvious after watching this video. 1. Seeing the dents in the side its obviously not the first time he's bashed something. 2. He obviously knew he hit the car and actually sped up to get out of there before he thought anyone would see him.

DezertManiac

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
curios what your system looks like to be able to achieve the great results your got, looks like an LPR camera and possible a PTZ for the closeup?

Thanks!

The Automation Guy

Known around here
Reaction score
curios what your system looks like to be able to achieve the great results your got, looks like an LPR camera and possible a PTZ for the closeup?

Thanks!

EDIT - Somehow I stopped the playback after the first two cameras. For whatever reason, I didn't see the last camera feed! Obviously my post is wrong.... but here it is for posterity sake.

Original post:
None of the views shown are from a LPR camera and I would be surprised if the second camera is a PTZ camera too - it's probably a fixed camera. With a properly setup LPR camera at night, you won't really be able to see anything but the plate. That second view is simply from a camera with good low/no light performance and a focal length that is appropriate for the goal (which I have to assume it simply to capture footage of the street).

Last edited:

Travis798

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Strictly looking at cam names, the second view is indeed a ptz, and the last view is his LPR camera. The camera captured the plate without issue so I'd venture to say it is properly set up and serves as an acceptable LPR regardless of camera type

th182

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Oh how I wish I could have the highest quality cameras, everyone here knows that is Reolink, their false advertising marketing clearly says so. Then I would be able to send a nondescript blurred blob to the authorities. Or who knows, Reolink might not have even captured anything!

Thanks!
I have 27 cameras recording to Blue Iris on an HP EliteDesk 800 G1 SFF i5-4590 with 32GB RAM. Sub-streams keep me idling at around 30% CPU. All of my cameras also have SD cards in them so if BI is down for some reason I still have video if needed.

As for the cameras used for this incident:
  1. Driveway Center is a Dahua IPC-HDW2231RN-ZS. This is set up wide and has a zone drawn on the street to trigger for every passing car. Only took me about 15 minutes to review several days of video to find this incident, I just jumped to every trigger of a car going by.
  2. The PTZ is a Dahua SD49225XA-HNR with auto tracking. I also have other "spotter cameras" calling it. That is why it jumped left and zoomed out for a minute before returning to it's default Preset intended to watch the mailboxes. I have the tracking filter to only track people so if someone approaches the mailboxes it zooms in on them and follows. These cameras are amazing and I just ordered and installed my third one a few weeks ago!
  3. I have two cameras assigned to LPR duties, both are Dahua IPC-HFW231EP-Z12E cameras dialed in for those crisp night plate images. Usually much clearer but it was raining that night. They are mounted to the lamp post at the end of the driveway.
  4. I have angles from my other LPR and some other cameras but only included the key ones in the youtube video. I submitted every angle I have to the PD.
All of my cameras record 24/7 which saved me on this one since the captured plate didn't trigger the camera for some reason, it usually does. In addition, I have an local-only OpenALPR daemon running on a separate EliteDesk that watches the LPR streams and logs any plates to an SQL database as well as publishes the captured plate via MQTT to Home Assistant. This allows me to set plates for which I want notifications on, or trigger other home automation routines. I also have a home-brew PHP web interface I built for the SQL database so I can view a history of plate captures, search a plate, and see how often it was seen. I also calculate metrics on time of day and day of week, so I can see that a particular car drives by every Sunday at 0400, i.e. paper delivery.

The Automation Guy

Known around here
Reaction score
Strictly looking at cam names, the second view is indeed a ptz, and the last view is his LPR camera. The camera captured the plate without issue so I'd venture to say it is properly set up and serves as an acceptable LPR regardless of camera type
Wow. Somehow I totally missed the last camera view. I guess I stopped the playback too soon - or more likely I was watching while distracted and because the last camera doesn't have sound, I didn't pay any attention to it! Clearly the last camera is a LPR camera that is set up properly to only capture the plates!

th182

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Reviving this thread with an update, based on my experiences I will never ever be able to recommend American Family insurance to anyone. This video was provided to the police who did a great job of tracking down the vehicle owner and documenting everything in a police report. American Family apparently thinks that "witness" and "provided CCTV video" means "liable for any and all damages to our client." Back in November I received a letter from ANFI Collections Agency demanding payment for the damages I caused. I contacted American Family who was less than helpful, passing me around to various voicemails and never calling me back. I reached out to ANFI who implied they understood my situation and asked me to send over the police report, which I did. Of course I could never get a direct response back from them either.

Fast forward to today, I get a call from my elderly mother frantic as to why a law firm is calling her demanding I pay for the accident I was involved in. I then get a voicemail from said law firm myself. I called and talked to the person in charge of my apparent case. She said that American Family sent my information over to them as the hit and run DRIVER in this incident. When I told her what had actually happened, she said that American Family's paperwork had "discrepancies" and my version of events makes more sense to her. I forwarded her the police report and all email correspondence I had with the collections agency. She said she will call me back later this week once they have worked it out with American Family and send a written letter indicating I am not liable.

Needless to say I have been recording my phone interactions and trying to correspond in writing whenever possible.

Edit to update: On the phone with American Family who insists I am only a witness and they NEVER sent ANYTHING to me or to collections for me. "We have no record of any of that." She appears to not believe that I received a collections letter or law firm calls today. Ugh. Trying to get through to someone who can give me that in writing!

Last edited:

Travis798

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Most sayings that stand the test of time are based on an irrefutable truth that also stands the test of time. In this case, "No good dead"...... I think we all know the rest.

That does sound like a nightmare. Situations like this help me to understand why so many people are reluctant to help in situations where they can.

CanCuba

Known around here
Reaction score
The closest I ever came to having a nervous breakdown was dealing with an insurance agency. And it wasn't even a claim, I changed carriers!

They'd somehow gotten someone else's driving record and applied their poor record to my insurance. Because of their mistake, I had to get a certified copy of my driving record and even after that it took a turn for the worse. They didn't update my premium from the start date, only the date I supplied the correct paperwork. Another month of phone calls from them demanding the money they claimed I owed.

Finally got it worked out, I like to record phone calls, and then dropped them.

That was 25 years ago and my blood pressure still rises thinking about it.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Reviving this thread with an update, based on my experiences I will never ever be able to recommend American Family insurance to anyone. This video was provided to the police who did a great job of tracking down the vehicle owner and documenting everything in a police report. American Family apparently thinks that "witness" and "provided CCTV video" means "liable for any and all damages to our client." Back in November I received a letter from ANFI Collections Agency demanding payment for the damages I caused. I contacted American Family who was less than helpful, passing me around to various voicemails and never calling me back. I reached out to ANFI who implied they understood my situation and asked me to send over the police report, which I did. Of course I could never get a direct response back from them either.

Fast forward to today, I get a call from my elderly mother frantic as to why a law firm is calling her demanding I pay for the accident I was involved in. I then get a voicemail from said law firm myself. I called and talked to the person in charge of my apparent case. She said that American Family sent my information over to them as the hit and run DRIVER in this incident. When I told her what had actually happened, she said that American Family's paperwork had "discrepancies" and my version of events makes more sense to her. I forwarded her the police report and all email correspondence I had with the collections agency. She said she will call me back later this week once they have worked it out with American Family and send a written letter indicating I am not liable.

Needless to say I have been recording my phone interactions and trying to correspond in writing whenever possible.

Edit to update: On the phone with American Family who insists I am only a witness and they NEVER sent ANYTHING to me or to collections for me. "We have no record of any of that." She appears to not believe that I received a collections letter or law firm calls today. Ugh. Trying to get through to someone who can give me that in writing!
Any chance there is some scam action going on?

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
There are unscrupulous collection agencies that get the info on you then attempt to scare you into paying up whether it's true or not.
Typically, you can shut them down by simply telling them to prove it to you. Make THEM send the paper work to you that proves it.
Usually, that will be the last you hear from them, because they don't have any proof.
Most collection agencies are scum.