Paranoid much?

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
I think so. Andy has a direct pipeline to Dahua being in Hong Kong which let's him get what he needs as he needs it while the Amazon store only seems to get the most "popular" stuff so he's not tying up inventory/money over here in the US. Short answer, he can get just about anything you might want, camera wise, if you work with him directly.

JDreaming

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I used to have no care about security cameras and paid no intention to them at all. But that change after I installed my own
security camera few years ago for the first time. And then wanted to add more cameras as time goes by because one camera
doesn't cut it anymore.

And I'm starting to have a fascination about other people's security cameras and where they install them. That's how I find this
forum. I'm probably looking like a burglar now a days to the other people walking down the blocks casing their house. Because
I'm curious where other people installed their security cameras and what type and brand they use etc.....:paranoid:

Jessie.slimer

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
I'd bet that a big autotracking ptz is a crime deterrent. Most people probably are unaware that autotracking exists and think someone is sitting at the controls following them. Unlike a fixed camera where the crime won't be discovered until the following morning.

Reaction score
I'd bet that a big autotracking ptz is a crime deterrent. Most people probably are unaware that autotracking exists and think someone is sitting at the controls following them. Unlike a fixed camera where the crime won't be discovered until the following morning.
I think you're right. I have the older version of the SD49225, and now I'm strongly considering adding a second PTZ on the other corner of my house. :)

If the auto-track function of the SD49225XA-HNR works as well as it does for the SD6AL445XA-HNR-IR, then that's exactly what I want. I keep my current PTZ pointed at my parked SUV, but just last week a door checker went down the opposite side of the street, hitting my neighbors' cars. Auto-tracking and auto-zooming would have made all the difference in obtaining clearer video of the guy. And if he had seen the camera tracking him, so much the better.

Last edited:

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
If I could run it in B&W with IR it may be better, but with the many signs reflecting the IR in that location, I kinda have to use color.

The sister camera to this one with the 1/1.8 sensor would be much better and that’s the plan to replace this one.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
@wtimothyholman - The 49225 is a great autotracking camera. I suspect equal to your other one. I think they use they same autotracking algorithm so once dialed in to your field of view and light, it should absolutely rock.

The bigger question is do you get it now or wait. I hear the 49225 is reaching EOL and will be replaced soon and whether or not it will have autotrack is to be seen. I suspect probably not since autotrack is not available now on the 49225 unless you purchase from Andy. I suspect the next autotracking camera will be much more expensive or just skips this series and will force people to buy the next series, more expensive models. But I would suspect the future ones to come with the bigger sensor, but pure speculation at this point on my part.

I went ahead and got another one just in case the next autotracks are pushing $800 and because I find it works for my needs.

Reaction score
I'm not a real fan of PTZs because they're so big, but I keep thinking about getting a 49225 just for the auto tracking. Getting it past the "war department" is another consideration though.
At $400, I think I could persuade upper management to authorize the purchase. :) But $800 or more would be a much tougher sell.

However ... if Dahua comes out with a new PTZ model with auto tracking and a better sensor at comparable cost, I'll be kicking myself.

Old Timer

Known around here
Reaction score
At $400, I think I could persuade upper management to authorize the purchase. :) But $800 or more would be a much tougher sell.

However ... if Dahua comes out with a new PTZ model with auto tracking and a better sensor at comparable cost, I'll be kicking myself.
Hopefully Andy will let us know before the old model drys up, so we can make up our mind to buy the older model or wait for a new one.

Teken

Known around here
Reaction score
@bigredfish,

When the PTZ was tracking the individual was the system in auto track or was this manually done? Also, I recall you posting an image of the final install and thought the PTZ was on a tall post which is behind a wall / gate. From the side walk could he actually see the PTZ tracking him or was it the noise of the motor that was getting his attention?

Also, I don't recall what model you had installed and whether its the typical dome vs the flat face style which obviously makes it easier to see if the camera is indeed watching / tracking you. The IR light is obviously another thing I gather he saw following him.

Regardless, that was a great video and thanks for sharing. :thumb:

Reaction score
Hopefully Andy will let us know before the old model drys up, so we can make up our mind to buy the older model or wait for a new one.
I think I may be pulling the trigger on the purchase before then. I've decided on the location and the mounting bracket I'll need. I'm already familiar with the optical capabilities of the older SD49225T ... an auto-tracking version will work just fine for my purposes. Plus @EMPIRETECANDY has the Loryta version for sale on Amazon.

All it takes is for one person to upload a video of an auto-tracking PTZ camera in action, and the next thing you know I'm having to explain to my wife why we need yet another camera. @bigredfish, this is all your fault. :)