Passive microphone on Hikvision

sim2000

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I struggled for several days to find a solution to my problem.
I have a Hikvision ds-2de3304w-de camera.
I am looking for a solution to add a microphone to it.

My camera is powered by POE via RJ45 so it's difficult to put a 12V microphone in it.
So I turn to a passive microphone.

On my camera, I have a black wire (GND), a purple one (AUDIO IN), a pink one (AUDIO OUT).

I tested 2 microphones but nothing works.
On my first microphone I have a red wire and copper around it.

My second microphone has a very thin cable with copper around it too.

On my camera, I have the LINE IN or MIC IN options.
But neither of them work... I just hear a BRUUUUH sound :')

I do have 220V coming in to power a light spot but I don't really want to plug a 12V transformer on it...

Anyone have an idea? :)

Alaska Country

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I would guess that you are SOL on using a passive microphone on that audio in line. There are a number of threads on this site that suggest using the Microseven external microphone for cameras that have audio in connections. The down side is that 12 VDC is required to power the mic. That mic has a wide range of DC voltage to work from (8 to 20 VDC). Needed current in the range of 1 ma (.001 Amp)

Have used several with Dahua camera and that mic performs well for my outside camera needs.

sim2000

n3wb
Reaction score
Thank you for your response.

I will consider using 12V and also get a 12V spot light ^^
As for the microphone you mentioned, is it possible to strip the wire and solder it onto the camera wires (see in the photo)? I don't have any RCA or 3.5mm connectors.
I'll also need to find a seller who ships to France...
20230321_084632.jpg

Alaska Country

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Considering the light load for the mic it might be possible to use a solar panel with rechargeable battery for operation. At 12 VDC and 1 ma the panel would have to supply about 1/3 watt per 24 hour day.

This trail cam charger could also work and cost a lot less.

solar_charger.jpg

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Alaska Country

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I will consider using 12V and also get a 12V spot light.
As for the microphone you mentioned, is it possible to strip the wire and solder it onto the camera wires (see in the photo)? I don't have any RCA or 3.5mm connectors.
I'll also need to find a seller who ships to France...
That mic is also sold on Amazon.

And Microseven has international shipping.

'If you want express shipping in the US or Internationally, please email to techsupport@microseven.com as it may have an extra fee."

No need for connectors. For a good connection solder or just twist together for testing.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

sim2000

n3wb
Reaction score
Cool, thanks for all this info!!!
Indeed, the solar sensor solution isn't bad, but the camera will go above a garage door, so I don't want too much stuff hanging on the wall.
For the MicroSeven microphone, at the moment I can't find it available for delivery to France for less than 70$ :eek:
I'm waiting for a response to my email from MicroSeven.

I found this item, what do you think about it?

With a little 12V transformer like this one to power on my IR light and the mic?

Last edited:
As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Alaska Country

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Without trying each of the devices myself can not be 100% sure if they will work as you expected. However, the mic looks good and has a wide angle pickup format. It has the DC voltage range of interest and the correct wires for connection.

The 220 VAC to 12 DC adapter also looks OK. It will need to be connected in an electrical box for use. It is rated at 12 watts so if also used for lighting that device should come under 12 watts. The current required for the mic is almost too small to enter into the calculation. i.e. 1/4 watt for the device you located or .012 watts for the Micorseven.

On this side of the pond, like to use the plug in wall warts. Less wiring and one can cut off the plug and extend the low voltage wire as needed. Depending on length, a number 18 or 16 two conductor wire is all that will be required.

For low current application have used Ethernet cable. Tie four wires together for the plus side (brown/orange pairs) and the remaining four to the negative side (green/blue pairs). Also like to solder the ends together for a better connection.

Like to use the newer power warts that have the electronic power supply and not the heavy ones which are transformer based. Better voltage regulation and they are less or a power line vampire then the older transformer types.

sim2000

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello,

Okay, great, thanks for this information.

I ordered the microphone I mentioned earlier and I will receive it by early April.
Unfortunately no seller in France has the MicroSeven... :(

Regarding the necessary power, I think it should be more than enough. The old IR spotlight I had was powered by a 500mA transformer. So the very low power of the microphone + that of the spotlight should not pose any problems.

Regarding my cables, I had already passed them during construction. I used a Cat7 RJ45 cable for power by POE and data to the camera, and I had originally planned to use a 2.5mm² electrical cable (2 meters) because I thought I would power the spotlight with 220v, but now it will only carry 12v.
The 12v transformer will be safely inside.
The POE and 12v connections between the microphone/camera/POE will be made inside the camera mount.

For the connections, I will either solder with heat shrink tubing or find connectors... I also need to add a 12v connector for my IR spotlight.

Alaska Country

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
For testing the mic, one can use a 9 VDC battery (transistor type) for testing. That will give you an idea of how well the mic will work for your needs. Once concern is how ripple free is the 220 VAC to 12 VDC converter. Some are great while others not so good. i.e. a LED lamp does not care, while a mic will.

By testing with a battery, as a reference point, you will be able to made a comparision when adding the AC to DC converter. Most likely not an issue, but it could be. Then connect the LED lamp and see if there is an issue or not. Bench test the setup and see what happens.

Good luck on the install.

sim2000

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi,
Thank you for the information. The solution is working fine since several weeks now. :)
The microphone as well as the IR spot are supplied with 12V with their power supply. The camera is POE. The microphone connected to the camera and all this is OK.
Thanks for the help.