patch panel for NVR

AsadK

n3wb
Reaction score
I am getting a rack mount patch panel for my NVR but there are so many options out there. I need one that will take CAT6 shielded cable. My cabinet is standard 19" wide. One thing I am not sure about is how the CAT6/network cable coming from Cameras will connect to the patch panel. I don't know if all of the panels have the same connection type, or it varies. Please help clear up this confusion. Since I am using CAT6 cables, being stiff, my concern is, how secure the connection will be at the connecting point to the panel?

I am eyeing on the following one. What are your thoughts? Thanks for your help.

Platinum Tools 24-Port Cat6 Shielded Patch Panel (1 RU) (bhphotovideo.com)
12 Port CAT6 UTP Rack Mount Patch Panel (techtoolsupply.com)

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
According to the cut sheet / specs here, it has a metal clamp for the shield, the best I can tell and yel/grn wire that is connected to those clamps and to the metal part of the bracket where the punch-down blocks are, that you take to earth ground. They also say, in so many words, that those clamps contribute mechanically to the reliability of the connections, I assume also acting as a strain relief. I zoomed in on the PDF file.

They appear to be (and the literature states) they have colors for T-568A and T-568B to assist with the punch-down; you can use either, I recommend you choose one standard and be consistent; T-568B is more common in the U.S. of A.

Last edited:

AsadK

n3wb
Reaction score
According to the cut sheet / specs here, it has a metal clamp for the shield, the best I can tell and yel/grn wire that is connected to those clamps and to the metal part of the bracket where the punch-down blocks are, that you take to earth ground. They also say, in so many words, that those clamps contribute mechanically to the reliability of the connections, I assume also acting as a strain relief. I zoomed in on the PDF file.
The PDF is for the 24-port panel. Do you know if the 12-port panel will have the clamps in the back? There is only 1 front picture of the 12-port. They haven’t shown the back side of it. Do you know another 12-port panel that is otherwise the same as Platinum Tools?

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The PDF is for the 24-port panel. Do you know if the 12-port panel will have the clamps in the back? There is only 1 front picture of the 12-port. They haven’t shown the back side of it.
Under the picture of the P/N 667-12C6S, which is wall-mounted, not rack-mounted, it says "Locking screw terminals for cable support and security, eliminates disconnects". You could ask their support.

Do you know another 12-port panel that is otherwise the same as Platinum Tools?
No.