Patrol with motion tracking

JT Blue Iris

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Do any of the HIK (or any other mfgr) PTZ cams have the ability to set up a patrol with presets but if it detects motion/person/auto then flip over to motion tracking until end of motion then go back to patrolling?
I did a quick search but didnt see anything.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yes they can do that, but you really don't want to do that as the PTZs are only rated for so many "cycles" and folks that have used patrol have had the system become inoperable as a PTZ after a couple years.

If it is cycling it can be avoided and miss the action.

You are much better off using fixed cams as spotter cams to point the PTZ to where the action is and then let the autotracking take over from there.

JT Blue Iris

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Yes they can do that, but you really don't want to do that as the PTZs are only rated for so many "cycles" and folks that have used patrol have had the system become inoperable as a PTZ after a couple years.

If it is cycling it can be avoided and miss the action.

You are much better off using fixed cams as spotter cams to point the PTZ to where the action is and then let the autotracking take over from there.

Thanks for this, I never thought of that but I do have spotter cams in the field of view for the PTZ cam I want to add.
I am currently using HIK bullet cams, would you reccomend a particular brand for the PTZ I want to add?
Reolink look cheap dont know if they are any good?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score