PC in a network cabinet

camsmith

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I have a Dell Optiplex 7020. I'd like to put it in my network cabinet and I was wondering if I can take the internals out of the Optiplex case and put them in a Rackmount Case, example :

Amazon.com: Rosewill Server Chassis/Server Case/Rackmount Case, 4U Metal Rack Mount Server Chassis with 8 Bays ATX & CEB: Computers & Accessories

This would allow me expansion for bigger drives and also look and fit better in the cabinet. I haven't done this before so I'm wondering if it will work.

Thanks

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

flynreelow

Known around here
Reaction score
It will probably void the warranty, if you have one.. but i dont see why you wouldnt be able to do that....

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
alot of those dells have unique/non-standard configurations, you'd have to see if the MBD had any standard screw layout, if the PSU was standard mounting, etc.. if you have the machine it'd be up to you to open it up and look at it.

normally its just cheaper/easier to get a shelf and put it on that, unless your really tight on space.

zero-degrees

Known around here
Reaction score
Thats one of Dell's Mini PCs - Nayr is most likely right that some of those components are going to be non standard (since dell and hp love to do that shit). That Shelf might work better to simply set that tower on. Just my $.02