PC/POE Switch/Camera setup advice!

Jtcarlson1

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello All,

First post to the forum and looking forward to many more I hope! I am trying to set up my first camera security system and wanted to get some specific advice on few items. I have been reading many posts here but there is just SO much! After getting enough info on NVR vs PC etc.. I have decided for my setup I wanted to do a dedicated PC with BI system with high end cameras. I have been working with computers and application development for at least 15 years so more than comfortable with some of the trade offs from NVR to PC to get some more features and power/performance.

Looking to get some feedback on what POE switch to get as well as some suggestions on best cameras out there. I already have my dedicated PC. Found a killer deal from a post here on a DELL OptiPlex 5040 - i7 6700 - 8GB Ram - 480 GB SSD OS drive - 6 TB WB Purple Drive. Hopefully that will cover most anything I could run out there on it. I will start with a few cameras at a time but hopefully will end up with 10 to 15 total cameras. Would like to run 3MP to 5MP cameras.

First question is whats the best POE switch for that many cameras. I see lots of posts about 16 port switches have loud fans. Is it better or ok to get two very nice 8 port? Not to worried about cost as I want to build this the right way the first time!

Second question would be suggestions for cameras. I will have half the areas which wont have any porch lights or anything and rest that do have lighting already. I was seeing that some look geared to small size and lower IR lighting and some that are bigger with more IR output. So think I will need some of each type I am guessing? Trying to find best cameras in the 150 - 250 range if I need to go that high on cost. Obviously anything lower would be great!

Thank you for taking the time to read! Any feedback or thoughts appreciated.

Joe