PC upgrade question

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
In his case, since he isn't running substreams, he probably needs HA in order to bring the CPU down. It is only when running substreams that the CPU% to offload video to the GPU exceeds the CPU% savings by going to a GPU. Worth trying, but I think he needs it.

Sure adding a GPU may bring his CPU down, but it will also draw more power than he is currently using.

Personally at the CPU% he is running at, I wouldn't upgrade.

Pastelaso

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
All computers are running Windows 11. All Blue Iris machines have exactly the same configuration as I use the same config file, so every setup is exactly the same with the exact the same settings.
I found strange that the wife's PC, Ryzen 7 3700x... according to the benchmarks, the i5 12 gen hands down beats the 3700x...but in Blue Iris, it performs much better, like half the CPU utilization compared to the i5.

To me, it must be because the 3700x has 8 cores / 16 threads. So I guess benchmarks do not tell the whole story.

Pastelaso

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
There’s only one thing to do then in this case, when she’s not looking swap the desktops and everybody then wins
Great idea, but I wanna preserve my life at least until Christmas!
But on a serious note.. the performance I see on that 3700x (in blue iris) is what I was expecting out of this new i5..which to me was a shocker. I was not expecting this outcome at all as I was leaning so much on the benchmarks.

Nunofya

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Are you using a dedicated GPU with the Ryzen 7 3700x?