PC upgrade question

Pastelaso

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
cams.jpg

They are both using Code Project. I do not use and do not like using sub streams as I prefer to be able to see the cameras live view as sharp as I can. Only 3 of my cameras support using Intel Hardware decode.CodeProject.jpg

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
View attachment 179025

They are both using Code Project. I do not use and do not like using sub streams as I prefer to be able to see the cameras live view as sharp as I can. Only 3 of my cameras support using Intel Hardware decode.
Many cameras have 1 or 2mp sub/third streams....you will not me able to discern a difference when in matrix view...
When images are processed by codeproject your cpu must skyrocket.

Pastelaso

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Many cameras have 1 or 2mp sub/third streams....you will not me able to discern a difference when in matrix view...
When images are processed by codeproject your cpu must skyrocket.
Not an issue with the i7-6700. Sometimes 2-3 of my cameras detect motion at the same time and the CPU can take it, no issues.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
What is the full BI Camera status page - we need to see the substreams and the MP/s numbers at the bottom.

So you only have 6 cameras? I have more 8MP cameras than that on a 4th gen running CPU% lower than you, plus a whole lot more of 4MP and 2MP cameras.

Pastelaso

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
What is the full BI Camera status page - we need to see the substreams and the MP/s numbers at the bottom.

So you only have 6 cameras? I have more 8MP cameras than that on a 4th gen running CPU% lower than you, plus a whole lot more of 4MP and 2MP cameras.
Are you using substreams? I am not.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Oh I see you aren't using substreams, that is your problem. You can always up the bitrate of the substream.

If substreams degraded the performance none of us would use it.

Plus when you solo a camera, it goes to mainstream.

While this thread is for LPR, tell me that the D1 resolution at a higher bitrate is not good enough for your eyes in a multi-camera view. Or as pointed out, use a higher substream resolution.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Not an issue with the i7-6700. Sometimes 2-3 of my cameras detect motion at the same time and the CPU can take it, no issues.
Unless you have code project set to low you are definitely pegging that CPU or you are not properly monitoring it... It would probably peg even if you set it to low..

Pastelaso

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
@wittaj Yea, I understand how the substreams work. But because mine are so crappy (480p), I don't like to use them because I have a dedicated monitor with the cameras on live view 24/7. So I like for them to be at full quality all the time.
I understand that using substreams will help reduce the CPU significantly..so I was comparing the old cpu with the new one to see if there was any difference at all..so far, I only see no more than 10% reduction using identical settings between the two.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
View attachment 179025

They are both using Code Project. I do not use and do not like using sub streams as I prefer to be able to see the cameras live view as sharp as I can. Only 3 of my cameras support using Intel Hardware decode.View attachment 179026
D1 is essentially 480p - you can't up the bitrate to 2,000 or so? Again keep in mind that when you solo a camera, it switches to mainstream.

This D1 resolution isn't good enough for you in multi-camera view?

1701402337208.png

Wow 1,000 and 3,000ms to do AI. My 4th gen is doing it in under 200ms (I am still using DeepStack)

DeepStack: Car:91% 151ms
DeepStack: Car:91% 147ms
DeepStack: Car:92% 172ms
DeepStack: Car:90% 152ms

Do you know that CodeProject has to take the mainstream resolution and downrez it before it processes it, so you are adding additional computing time to the AI analysis as well, which probably explains the higher make takes.

Again, like I said, for the number of cameras you have and the CPU% you are at, save your money - going to an even higher PC isn't going to get you the savings you are expecting to see as long as you use resource heavy mainstream for everything.

I wouldn't consider upgrading until you are over 60% or the CPU is maxing out and BI is restarting.

Pastelaso

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I understand what you are saying.. it still doesn't explain why the new CPU only lowers the utilization by no more than 10% when they are both using the same AI. I honestly was expecting a much better performance difference between the two.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I understand what you are saying.. it still doesn't explain why the new CPU only lowers the utilization by no more than 10% when they are both using the same AI.
Your savings is 30-40%. You are confusing %improvement with points, the percentage point difference is only 10%.

To go from say 32% down to 2-3%, that would be a roughly 3,000% improvement and I don't think the benchmarks will show that kind of improvement.

Pastelaso

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Let me see if I understood you. You have two computers side by side running identical systems (blue iris), fresh install on both of them. You open Task Manager and see Blue Iris showing 34% on one PC and the other shows 24%.. that means the difference (improvement) is 30-40%?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yes.

To calculate the percentage difference:

1. First: work out the difference (increase) between the two numbers you are comparing.
  2. Difference = New Number - Original Number.
  3. Then: divide the increase by the original number and multiply the answer by 100.
  4. % difference = difference ÷ Original Number × 100.
So (24-34)/34*100 = 29.4%

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Wow.. this is why I dropped out of high school lol
LOL.

Benchmarks show the newer chipset should be about 36% faster theoretically, so you aren't that far off of achieving the improvements that computer would give you.

So like I said, take that money and buy a better camera or spend it on something else. Your current CPU% is fine. When you are constantly over 60% or the CPU pegs out and BI crashes, then you look at upgrading.

Pastelaso

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
The main reason I wanted to get a "Better" computer is because I am planning on upgrading my cameras to 8 MP. So eventually the lowest camera I will have will be 4MP. They will be 8MP/5PM/4MP. According to the specs on this computer, I can upgrade the CPU to an i7-12700F (12 core / 20 threads). So If I need to upgrade later, I could without having to buy a whole new computer, just the CPU.

Pastelaso

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Well, this is interesting. I should have tested this from the beginning. I installed Blue Iris on my wife's computer which is a Ryzen 7 3700x. Same configuration, same Code Project version, same cameras, all recording continuously .. Blue Iris is showing at 12-13% in task manager

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
Your running Windows 11. Thats an upgrade.
Your running DDR 4 thats supposedly an 25-33% increase in pipeline thruput over DDR3 ( which is what most motherboards supported while hosting a 6th Gen processor.)
Support for Windows 10 ends in 2025 October. Your 6700 can't do that.
No sense in returning it as obviously you have some settings that can be goofed up.'
Turn off Intel Hardware decode.... system wide....and then observe your CPU.
Sometimes it goes down considerably.
Esp if you copied a Config file...

my shit runs at 1% in the BI window....coupled with a Nvidia GPU 1060 with 3 cams on Code project...10 cams total.
sometimes even 0%.
Task manager show a variability of 2% up tp 5% in real time processing ( in the middle of the night with not much happening outside.)
Your shits fucked up somewhere...
Nobody needs to see the BI homescreen in full resolution......Albiet some shitty cams I had bought as a newb,,,,
sucked for switching back to Mainstream on motion and were missing important detail so they had to run mainsteam
My Condo system has an i5-8500 HP ELitedesk streaming 18 cams and 9 other legacy analog cams streaming from a Nightowl DVR desktop software
to the BI comoputer.
and that bitch can get al low as 8-9% for short spurts. but generally around 18-29% and 3 of the cams are Mainstream 24/7

1701418699074.png
1701417951261.png
1701418010234.png
1701419402544.png

Attachments

Last edited:

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
What @Flintstone61 said above, try disabling hardware acceleration, I did recently and that dropped my CPU usage from around 30% to 20% which came as bit of a shock as logically offloading something you would think would be beneficial?