Pear Tree Falls Over

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
Bloody hell, fortunate that nobody was nearby as it definitely would have been a brown trouser moment.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Likely a Bradford (no fruit), their canopy gets HUGE in relation to branch and/or trunk diameter. In this neck of the woods, winds and gravity play havoc with the mature ones unless it's trimmed periodically and proactively by someone that know what they're doing, like a certified arborist.

gwminor48

Known around here
Reaction score
Likely a Bradford (no fruit)
Probably correct. I had a variety of these ornamental pears at one time but it didn't live very long. Not a top choice tree but they look good when the are covered in white blooms in spring.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I have 2, both planted at the same time, about 9 years ago. The one closest to the flag is probably 18 feet tall and 12 ft. in diameter; the other one is 1/3 the overall size of the bigger one. The reason? I think it's because in its second season bloom the deer pulled off huge, tender limbs with their intended snack (the blooms) and it never recovered, even after I surrounded it with green plastic netting for the next 7 years. It's green and it grows and blooms every season but it's "dwarfed".