Penny for your thoughts...

ClarityAVS

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I had a situation last night where we needed to pull footage from one of our locations due to an accident on site.
When I got to the time needed, it was absolutely worthless footage but going back on every single night on the recording, I haven't seen this issue as a repeated one. Here are some images from before/during/after... Thoughts on what actually caused it?

You can see on the last photo that it just becomes find at 2 in the morning. Other cameras in the area were not altered due to fog or rain. And they were right next to this one at the same height but facing the opposite direction. Is this just a fluke ??

Attachments

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
1) My first though was fog but you think otherwise.
2) Moisture-filled exhaust from truck idling under cam?
3) Building exhaust fan containing high humidity under/near cam?
4) Condensation internal to cam that cleared up?

ClarityAVS

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I really thought fog also. But unless it was only in that specific spot... Condensation I don't think would clear up that good that fast when the conditions were the same. Issue began prior to truck getting there and no exhaust fans near it.
I'm going to have someone climb up to check out for and internal condensation today but the experience I've had with any condensation in these cameras, they don't clear up that fast (if at all).

Thanks for your input!

ClarityAVS

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I just got word that it was raining/snowing/icing mixed during that time. Has to be weather related. Its just unfortunate that the incident in question had ZERO to to do with the weather just coincidence that it occurred the only time out of 3 months of playback.

ip_poe

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Other cameras in the area were not altered due to fog or rain. And they were right next to this one at the same height but facing the opposite direction. Is this just a fluke ??
I'm guessing some moisture/fog in the air mixed with wind blowing in the direction that one camera was facing. With them mounted so high it's more susceptible to weather and wind exposure. I'd suggest adding additional cameras pointing towards critical areas and at different angles/heights, having one camera to cover an entire large outdoor area is usually never a good idea.

What body style is the camera in question? Is it a dome or a bullet camera? If it's a dome style perhaps it's not sealed up properly and moisture was able to get in. Maybe swap these higher elevated ones with a camera that has a built in fan or to a different body style that's less susceptible to fog and moisture buildup. But yeah if it was just a case of there being that much fog in the air between the camera and the scene there's nothing that could have prevented it using a standard camera.

ClarityAVS

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I'm guessing some moisture/fog in the air mixed with wind blowing in the direction that one camera was facing. With them mounted so high it's more susceptible to weather and wind exposure. I'd suggest adding additional cameras pointing towards critical areas and at different angles/heights, having one camera to cover an entire large outdoor area is usually never a good idea.

What body style is the camera in question? Is it a dome or a bullet camera? If it's a dome style perhaps it's not sealed up properly and moisture was able to get in. Maybe swap these higher elevated ones with a camera that has a built in fan or to a different body style that's less susceptible to fog and moisture buildup. But yeah if it was just a case of there being that much fog in the air between the camera and the scene there's nothing that could have prevented it using a standard camera.
It’s a HikVision bullet. Usually when I hang them I put quite a bit of silicon around any cracks or crevasses in the camera and mount just to play it safe. This one was installed by someone else so I’m not sure if received the royal treatment. I’m going to keep an eye on it the next few nights and if I see anymore situations like this one I’ll plan on replacing it. Any recommendations on a HikVision cam for a replacement?

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Off hand, with that spot light pointing directly at the camera and the light colored tank taking up a large par of the FOV, any camera will have some problems. You might try a higher lens, 6mm instead of what, I guess, is a 3.xmm. The trick is to let the camera use its "smarts" to get some contrast into the frame. I'm not a Hikvision users so I have no idea what models to look at, but anything in 4MP with a 1/1.7 or 1/1.8 sensor will do a decent job.

ClarityAVS

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
That's a 1/2.5 sensor which is great in a 2MP format but not so good in a 4MP format, light per pixel is effectively halved in the 4MP. Again, the trick is to get the light out of view no matter which camera you end up with. I have a problem with an overview camera that's mounted in a tree in my front yard seeing a streetlight. I had to tilt it down and zoom it in, it's a Dahua 2231R-ZS 2MP, to 12mm to get the darn light out of the frame.

ClarityAVS

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
We would be losing quite a bit of area if we were to lower it enough so that the light is out of the frame. I am going to ask if they can raise the light on the pole then tilt the cam a little bit. Or even putting a shield on the camera side of the light might make a pretty significant difference. Thanks again for your help! It's very helpful

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
We would be losing quite a bit of area if we were to lower it enough so that the light is out of the frame. I am going to ask if they can raise the light on the pole then tilt the cam a little bit. Or even putting a shield on the camera side of the light might make a pretty significant difference. Thanks again for your help! It's very helpful
I guess it's also a good thing that the light fixture on that nearest red building to the left doesn't work right now, as you'd likely have to address it as well.
That being said, you might want to consider (since you're in the mode of working on glare, adjusting cam's, etc.) that sure as you've made some changes and all is well, someone will come along and repair/cause that light on that red building to start working! :facepalm:

EDIT: Is that a truck scale where that glaring light is now? If so, is the intent to video truck info (company name & truck #, D.O.T. info, state license plate(s), etc.) as it approaches and departs said truck scale and/or company property?

Last edited:

ClarityAVS

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
It is a truck scale. And we don't need it for truck/trailer info, just incidents such as property damage. (which we had the other night but the footage was useless). I'm not sure if that light is intentionally off or if it's just out of order. But that one would definitely be an issue to address if it ever comes back on lol. This location is about 4 hours from me and we have plans to add about 30 cameras to it. I just adopted this project from a retired co worker so I may have to go down there and scope out all of the light fixtures before having them continue to run conduit.

Oh the joys.....

ClarityAVS

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I'm actually thinking they can slide that light down the pole and shoot it straight under the truck. The lights actually used to see product coming out of the trailer and into a pit. If we do that, it might fix the lighting issue pretty easily.

ClarityAVS

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I had someone at the location clean off the camera yesterday afternoon. This is what it looked like last night. Looks like that was the major issue. I'm going to make sure they add cleaning this camera to their monthly sanitation list.

Attachments

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I had someone at the location clean off the camera yesterday afternoon. This is what it looked like last night. Looks like that was the major issue. I'm going to make sure they add cleaning this camera to their monthly sanitation list.
Wow...looks like a new cam! Good job!

You know, after 47 years of working on electronic/electronic equipment and devices of varying complexity, it still never ceases to amaze me how complicated, technical devices can have simple and mechanically- induced issues quite often. I think it's normal to jump to the conclusion that the "fix" is always something deep and mysterious.....I know I have done that before and have to remind myself of that pitfall even these days. :highfive: