People Counting | Unique faces?

kivnic13

n3wb
Reaction score
Is there a way to have Blue Iris count the number of people that have passed by a camera in a given period of time? Even better, can facial recognition be used to count the number of unique faces? I'd like to automate counting the number of people who enter through a gate for an event. Since folks go back and forth, it would be ideal to count the number of unique people. Of course, even just counting non-uniques would be better than nothing.

Ideas???

kivnic13

n3wb
Reaction score
Ah yeah there's that... but I have blue iris already :) That said, I know those types of cams exist and I have not investigated them too closely. Do you know how well they work @looney2ns ? What about the unique faces aspect? Have you used the Dahua you linked to?

kivnic13

n3wb
Reaction score
I just watched this advertisement with a Dahua doing people counting. It looks like it counts exits as well as entrances. That's nice for knowing the total number of people in a place at a given time but doesn't tell you total visitor traffic when people are leaving (ie, going to their car) and then coming back.

Also, does anyone know if these cams can count visible children in strollers?

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
WizMind X Series
WizMind X Series

Face Recognition There are two modes: General mode and counting mode. General mode: Face detection; snapshot; snapshot optimization; optimal face snapshot upload; face enhancement; face exposure; face attributes extraction including 6 attributes and 8 expressions; face snapshot set as face or one inch photo; snapshot strategies (recognition priority and optimization snapshot); face angle filter; optimization time setting. Supports adding 5 group face databases; registering person one by one or in batches; setting face similarity; and supports face comparison with the face database containing up to 200,000 face pictures. Counting mode: Offers advanced customer counter, filters out specified faces from the face database, and exports reports both before and after removing duplicate faces.

Mark_M

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I've 3 cameras that support people counting and 1 camera with facial recognition.

People counting past a line will keep triggering if someone keeps walking back/fourth (outside of the blue box boundary).
1686109923219.png

People counting in area works well enough, but obviously once they are out then back in the camera FOV they get counted again.
1686109977130.png

Facial recognition to count doesn't really count on Dahua's systems....
Facial recognition is based off a percentage of similarity to another face model. If two people look very similar the system gets confused or if the two snapshots of the same person is not within (e.g.) 90% it counts them as two seperate people.
1686110179806.png1686110305291.png

So truly, Dahua's own systems don't have anything (yet) to uniquely count individuals.
Maybe Dahua's VMS's systems or Luxriot VMS have something to link matches of the same person and automatically enroll newly seen faces.

Regardless, Facial recognition is a topic which makes people worry of 'big brother watching' and I would be careful using it for a commercial venue. Putting it on T&C's is one thing but some government's have banned the use.

Typical example of concert event entry has networked ticket scanners and a central database knows how many people have scanned in, and how many have scanned out.
Policy is you cannot come in with a ticket that has already been scanned in or has not been scanned out (people trying to pass their ticket through the fence to let another person in).
There is other methods of counting, such as WiFi or bluetooth sniffing. It's common for almost every smartphone to search for avaliable wifi networks, so you just need your wifi to count the number of devices asking for it's SSID.