Phone app not connecting to blue iris on vpn

Ky's

n3wb
Reaction score
Asking for support to get my phone connected to blue iris.
The blue iris computer is connected to a vpn router. When I try to connect to blue iris from my phone no luck. When I connect the phone to the vpn router wifi the blue iris app work on my phone.
Can someone help me figure this out
Thanks

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I had this problem too.

Go into Blue Iris Settings - Users - Edit User - make sure the LAN only box is unchecked.

Or create another user and make sure the LAN only box is unchecked.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
You need to enter the lan IP in the wan box

Ky's

n3wb
Reaction score
I had this problem too.

Go into Blue Iris Settings - Users - Edit User - make sure the LAN only box is unchecked.

Or create another user and make sure the LAN only box is unchecked.
The lan only box is unchecked

Ky's

n3wb
Reaction score
Guys I tried everything you suggested with no luck is there anything else you all can recommend

JRdabbler

n3wb
Reaction score
Guys I tried everything you suggested with no luck is there anything else you all can recommend
Did you ever get this figured out? I’m starting fresh and have run into this problem, digging through threads trying to find a solution

The Automation Guy

Known around here
Reaction score
If set up properly, devices using the VPN will appear as devices on the local network. Therefore the WAN address setting in BI will have no bearing. Personally I think it should be turned off just to ensure it won't accept outside connections.

That being said, BI will allow you to "limit" the LAN connections to a specific set of IP addresses. It's possible that this is turned on and preventing the VPN devices from connecting. While devices using the VPN will appear as locally connected devices, they are generally NOT on the same IP address scheme as the rest of the local devices. So if your actual local network uses 192.168.1.X address scheme, the VPN connections will have a different set of addresses (perhaps 10.0.0.x). Therefore it is important to make sure that either BI's local LAN settings aren't filtering addresses, or you have added the VPN addresses to the filtering settings to ensure they are included.

Last edited:

The Automation Guy

Known around here
Reaction score
You also need to double check your router's VPN settings. It's possible that the router is establishing the VPN tunnel correctly, but there are no rules indicating what devices coming through the tunnel should be able to access. I use pfSense as my firewall device and I know that I had to specifically set up what local network addresses I wanted to be able to access through the VPN tunnel. If this wasn't set up correctly, the the firewall would prevent me from accessing the BI machine even though I was connected to my local network through the VPN tunnel. I'm not sure how your router handles this, but it is certainly something to look into.

Reaction score
wireshark would help greatly to determine connection issues. Heck, even more simpler....PING command. Is it Blue Iris? Is it the Windows machine? Is it the firewall rules? etc.
Wish everyone who dabbled with computers took 30min-1hour of their time to watch intro to wireshark Youtube video.