Pics so far of survey for my house.

wantafastz28

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Hopefully imgur doesn't compress the pics too much.

All pics except ones of proposed installed sites were done with, IPC-HDW5231R-Z.

All settings were pretty much auto adjusted by camera(focus, ir light, etc). unless mentioned otherwise in details. I'm confident after they are permanently mounted, fine tuning will get me an even better view. I highly recommend people do the homework, buy at least 1 camera that they are thinking, and do the same before buying a whole setup. IMO there is only so much that can be understood. with hardware settings on a spec sheet. The motorized lenses are def. worth the cost, and has pretty much locked up my opinion of getting a PTZ for my backyard. Thanks to everyone that has helped with my stupid questions(nayr, fenderman, andy, etc), and hopefully this helps pay it forward a little bit. I also made videos of me walking by the field of view, and up to the cameras.

Last edited:

j4co

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
You might need to put quite some number of cameras there cover it all...
But this seems a good try to get an idea of how it will look and catch people at their expected path of approaching the house. unfortunately I have to do it from a design drawing.

wantafastz28

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Well expected path or not, the whole house will be covered... just wanted to make sure face identification will work before buying a bunch of cameras.

Last edited:

Fastb

Known around here
Reaction score
wantafastz28,

just wanted to make sure face identification will work
I assume you mean "Face Detect", right?
FD is finicky, as people here report.
- the face has to occupy a sizeable portion of the total FOV
- a moving face makes FD more finicky
- hats & hoodies impact FD performance.

I agree with your approach, and checking out FD should be part of it.
I highly recommend people do the homework, buy at least 1 camera that they are thinking
Good luck
Fastb

wantafastz28

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
wantafastz28,

I assume you mean "Face Detect", right?
FD is finicky, as people here report.
- the face has to occupy a sizeable portion of the total FOV
- a moving face makes FD more finicky
- hats & hoodies impact FD performance.

I agree with your approach, and checking out FD should be part of it.

Good luck
Fastb

Hey Fastb, I meant being able to recognize the person in field of view(in my real world scenerio based on my lighting conditions). I'll be using Blue Iris, so I didn't want to get too vested in IVS or those features. I'm half tempted to install these 2, but I was really hoping to put a final order in to finish up the house and do it all at once. Andy sounds busy as hell, so I'm just gonna wait it out I think.

Dodutils

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Can you explain the difference between 19/20/21 that show your face overexposed and 22/23 ? did you turn off some lights ?

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
unfortunately its not until after some prowler comes sneaking about that most people realize where they SHOULD have put there cameras.. put on your acting cap, go out there very late at night and pretend you've never seen your property before and are up to no good.. After observing many many prowlers come and go they all follow the same basic routes and the behavior is very similar.. depending on lighting available and landscaping they usually dont want to busting there ass and making a bunch of noise by taking the path less traveled.. most will stick to sidewalks/driveways/paved surfaces that allow them to keep there eyes peeled and instead of watching there steps.

for example if you park 2 cars side by side in your driveway: 100% of the time they will come up the center isle so they can check both vehicles and have tons of cover from passing vehicles/observant owners.. the'll duck down behind your truck and you'll never get anything unless you put the camera so you can see the center isle.

Psychology can play a huge role in the success of a system, and its not easy for most people to think like a criminal.. unless your a white hat like my self with the natural ability to see any flaws available for exploit.. Humans are alot more flawed than technology so if you use a bit of social engineering you can manipulate the bad guys just as much as they try to do us.

If you put a camera above your door, then put a sign on your door that says: what ever you do, dont look up! guess what'll happen? every person whom reads that sign will look right into your camera, were all a bunch of chumps in the end.. its the human condition.

Last edited:

wantafastz28

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Can you explain the difference between 19/20/21 that show your face overexposed and 22/23 ? did you turn off some lights ?
Yep, the details are below each picture. 19-21, no LED light on, like I had on the front of my house, but the IR is on from the Camera. I was getting lazy and wanted a better picture, but I didn't want to waste too much time. I tried HLC on with the camera IR on, for the last 2 pics. I figured once they are permanently mounted. I can put the time into tuning what each camera needs for through out the day/night.

wantafastz28

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
unfortunately its not until after some prowler comes sneaking about that most people realize where they SHOULD have put there cameras.. put on your acting cap, go out there very late at night and pretend you've never seen your property before and are up to no good.. After observing many many prowlers come and go they all follow the same basic routes and the behavior is very similar.. depending on lighting available and landscaping they usually dont want to busting there ass and making a bunch of noise by taking the path less traveled.. most will stick to sidewalks/driveways/paved surfaces that allow them to keep there eyes peeled and instead of watching there steps.

for example if you park 2 cars side by side in your driveway: 100% of the time they will come up the center isle so they can check both vehicles and have tons of cover from passing vehicles/observant owners.. the'll duck down behind your truck and you'll never get anything unless you put the camera so you can see the center isle.

Psychology can play a huge role in the success of a system, and its not easy for most people to think like a criminal.. unless your a white hat like my self with the natural ability to see any flaws available for exploit.. Humans are alot more flawed than technology so if you use a bit of social engineering you can manipulate the bad guys just as much as they try to do us.

If you put a camera above your door, then put a sign on your door that says: what ever you do, dont look up! guess what'll happen? every person whom reads that sign will look right into your camera, were all a bunch of chumps in the end.. its the human condition.
Agreed. :) My hope is, all this will have been done for nothing, and I have no issues(but ya never know, something could happen). My wife thinks I've gone paranoid, but honestly it has just been a fun little project to play with, and I've enjoyed learning from the site. So, I keep coming back, even tho i have the hardware questions figured out.

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score

I do that exactly thing, pretend to be a criminal, thing where they would be most likely to walk, try to enter, etc, social engineering, I need some good signs though, heh heh.

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
just remember if you want to see faces you have to go one of two routes, choke points with lots of cheaper cameras, or very very high megapixel camera but not as many, and then you need over-view cameras if you don't want blind spots. Best way to know if you will get good face shots? get your laptop and walk around in front of the camera, when you think it looks good, hit record and then walk around like nayr said, as if you were sneaking around the place and what not, perhaps, look up at the camera, then review the footage and look at your own face, take snapshots and blow them up, do you think someone could pick you out of a lineup? When going for choke points its better to use something like maybe 12mm, or varifocal that way you can put the camera farther away under the eave and the angle will not be as steep, then you get shots of faces instead of shots of the tops of people's head, bonus, they have to walk toward the camera to get to it if they want to try and take it out. if you place them well this could lead them to walk close to other cameras.

Dodutils

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Yep, the details are below each picture. 19-21, no LED light on, like I had on the front of my house, but the IR is on from the Camera. I was getting lazy and wanted a better picture, but I didn't want to waste too much time. I tried HLC on with the camera IR on, for the last 2 pics. I figured once they are permanently mounted. I can put the time into tuning what each camera needs for through out the day/night.
On 22/23 it's written that IR light is ON but HLC ON too so it seems that HLC is the option that helped to manage overexposure ?

wantafastz28

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
On 22/23 it's written that IR light is ON but HLC ON too so it seems that HLC is the option that helped to manage overexposure ?
Yep. I'm sure there are other ways to help with the over exposure, I just tried HLC and BLC because I didn't know what they were at the time. After I did 22/23, I moved on.