pin-hole camera to video who is installing a jumper in my electric box

BlokehMan

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
So I'm in a situation where I need to see, in-secret, who is installing jumper in my electric box. My electric usage went from 800kWh to 2200 kWh. My fusebox is sensitive as fuck any shorted appliance would have shut off everything. My main switch is approx 50 meters away from where I want to install this pin-hole camera wondering if wifi is the way or what. This is a 12 inch concrete kind of warehouse.

Thanks

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
What is a jumper and how would it work?

I have a friend whose family has a flat in India, flat I mainly closed but they noticed that their electricity bill had increased drastically so the next time a friend was in the neighbourhood they asked them to pop in. They found that a neighbour had somehow managed to plug wires into a high amperage bathroom socket and was stealing electricity while the flat was empty.

BlokehMan

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
What is a jumper and how would it work?

I have a friend whose family has a flat in India, flat I mainly closed but they noticed that their electricity bill had increased drastically so the next time a friend was in the neighbourhood they asked them to pop in. They found that a neighbour had somehow managed to plug wires into a high amperage bathroom socket and was stealing electricity while the flat was empty.
Yes something like this. We suspect it is being plugged at night since one of the main fuse box is exposed open and the lock on the meter is gone. We want to know who then report it to proper authorities

BlokehMan

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
You are not going to find a pin-hole cam, 50 meters to the target, at night, that will give you a shot of a face that is good enough to ID the perp. Even in daylight, that distance with a pin-hole cam, will not give you what you want.
I meant, the camera is placed 50m away from the main router/switch/wifi. But the area it will be observing is 1m max. I want to place it where the fusebox is

Reaction score
WIFI cams are notoriously unreliable and 50 meters is kind of far. I have a few WIFI cams that are within 5 meters of the router and go offline a few times a day. But they do have SD cards in them so as long as they are powered, they do record to the card. But I have never use a 'pin-hole' cam. Others here have. Do a search for it on this forum.

danbutter

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Would you be able to see this location with a high zoom camera? Maybe then you wouldn't need to be right there with the camera.

BlokehMan

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Would you be able to see this location with a high zoom camera? Maybe then you wouldn't need to be right there with the camera.
I suspect whoever is installing this will be facing the box. This is why I wanted a face to face cam. I already plan on two bullet cams on two different angles, this hidden cam will be for the face.

BlokehMan

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Another option is just a little Trail/Spy cam that records to an SD card. No networking across 50m, Blue Irus etc..
Just put it there, let it record and recover it.
Good idea. Very good idea. Any suggested spy cams?

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
Do you really think the somebody is plugging in the evening and disconnecting in the evening?

pozzello

Known around here
Reaction score
how about locking the fuse box? or even just a zIp tie, to confirm that someone is actually tampering with it...

Reaction score
or even just a zIp tie, to confirm that someone is actually tampering with it...
This is a great idea. I had an issue with someone opening up my ONT box on the side of my house. You need a socket to open it and I came home from a trip and found it open. So I thought maybe I left it open or ATT had come by for a reason and forgot to close it. So I closed it and put a zip tie on it to see if it happened again. Sure enough, came home after the next trip and the zip tie had been cut off and was on the grass. So I put another zip tie on it, joined IPCAMTALK and now have a cam watching that side of the house. Have not had it tampered with since.

I can't for the life of me see why someone would go in there as there is nothing to steel or get access to.

pozzello

Known around here
Reaction score