Pinhole Recommendations

Reaction score
Along with 11 other IP Cams 2MP & 3MP, I have one indoor pinhole cam tied into BI through the AXIS M7011 Video Encoder. This is the only indoor camera at the property and is tucked away in the corner of the ceiling.

Photo:Dropbox - IMG_20161216_072706.jpg

Not sure of the Camera but max resolution is 720x480. Any recommendations for an upgrade? I've seen from $20 to $260 for the Geovision GV-UNP2500.

I can splurge for $260 but don't need to if there's a another option. Primarily looking for simple installation, better resolution and motion detection than what I have. Any other benefits would be a bonus.

Have cat6 running to the location from POE switch. Thanks for any recommendations.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Itching to upgrade. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Along with 11 other IP Cams 2MP & 3MP, I have one indoor pinhole cam tied into BI through the AXIS M7011 Video Encoder. This is the only indoor camera at the property and is tucked away in the corner of the ceiling.

Photo:Dropbox - IMG_20161216_072706.jpg
I for one find your photo a little confusing. Also that camera isn't quite what I think of for a pinhole camera. Pinhole cameras always have crappy image quality.

I bet something like a mini dome would work in that location. Consider posting a photo from a few feet farther back that shows a little more of what's around the camera.

Reaction score
Thanks for all of the recommendations. Maybe Pinhole was not the right description.

Here is a photo a few feet father back: Dropbox - IMG_20161220_085024.jpg
Here is a photo of the room. Dropbox - Room_12_20_2016 12_44_54 PM.jpg

Floor to ceiling glass on 2 sides of the room so a lot of range throughout the day.

The black on the camera makes it kind of hidden so I'd like to stay with that.

I'm also thinking any IR would be a negative - right now it's fairly stealth and hard to see. The IR would just call attention to it.

I have the Axis Encoder but any reason I should keep that?

Thanks again for all of the help. There is room but I'd still like to keep it somewhat "quiet" up there.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The HDB4231C-AS is a better camera, but I was curious how the size compared to some of the older minidomes like this: DH-IPC-HDBW42A1FN-AS(I)
and they're about the same. The starlight minidome is about 1/4" taller and the overall shape is a little different.

You could use plastidip on the white part of the dome to get it to blend with the wood better.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Mini Dome dont have any IR, to keep IR from interfering with the case the wedge will be a better factor for wall/vertical mounts than a ufo dome factor.

there is a starlight IR wedge available if you want IR, IPC-HDBW4231F-AS | Dahua Technology

but if the idea is to remain discrete then you probably dont want IR giving it away in low light; I wouldn't want IR in my living room but I would in the kids room.. when lights out in kids room its bedtime, when lights out in living room its movie/game time..

we have guests over for that that I'd rather not have this conversation with.. I left the Turret in my living room when I was out of town and the first thing my house sitter said was aww man I cant sit on your couch in my underwear.. he's just a smartass, but he spotted it instantly and tried to diffuse the discomfort with a bit of humor.

These cameras are metal cased, so if you tape off the dome you can paint em black/brown with some ole rattle can paint without doing any more prep work than cleaning your finger prints off with alcohol.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Thanks for all of the recommendations. I definitely like the form factor of the mini IP? cameras. (hope that's the correct description).

I'd like to stay away from White and IR. Do the small dome cameras offer superior performance over mini ip? Even if I paint one black, the dome itself is a dead give away. The one I have now is barely noticeable. I also have 3 other HikVision cameras so I think it's also a plus to get another one.

There are several recommendations on this thread (again thank you all).

Fenderman: where is the HikVision version of the Platinum HD IP Pinhole Camera 1.3MP, CMIP183? You're right, the baset on the LTS is rather large.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
the problem w/most all pinhoes is they use a 1/4 (or 1/3.8in) sensor with a very small aperture.. so they pretty much all suck in low light conditions.. not much light gathering abilities w/em at all.

I cannot see the dome from any reasonable distance in low light, its clear w/black background.. but I have downfiring lights in the room so nothing to glare off dome.. I wear glasses and glare is not something I think I can see heh

if you look in my review thread I took a screenshot from a little 720p board camera (its just a standard sized ccd board in a metal case) and you can compare quality difference your self.

the metal case could be painted to whatever color you want with ease.. or you could take it out of the casing and stick the guts in something else even less discrete and no dome.

Reaction score
nayr - just read 18 pages of your IPC-HDW5231R-Z review. Now I want to replace all of my outdoor domes with these. Seriously, I think I'll buy one and if I can't make it work inside, I'll swap it out for one of my outdoor domes.