Pipe Hitters

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Wow, a Ford Aerostar still running...amazing.
Yep, ex-wife drove an '89 Aerostar in Nor. CA for 9 years until '98. Bought it new and never had a problem until the C3 trans crapped out right in the driveway. Several Ford mechs told me that the C3 auto trans for V6's of that era were really wimpy and didn't have the legs that the C4's had, let alone the C6's. So when I bought my 16 y/o daughter her '96 V6 Mustang we got a 5 speed, she drove it 15 years / 180K miles, one clutch replacement.....not one single issue of any kind.

Jim I.

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Yep, ex-wife drove an '89 Aerostar in Nor. CA for 9 years until '98. Bought it new and never had a problem until the C3 trans crapped out right in the driveway. Several Ford mechs told me that the C3 auto trans for V6's of that era were really wimpy and didn't have the legs that the C4's had, let alone the C6's. So when I bought my 16 y/o daughter her '96 V6 Mustang we got a 5 speed, she drove it 15 years / 180K miles, one clutch replacement.....not one single issue of any kind.
Actually the Aerostar came with the A4LD automatic overdrive transmission, which was similar to a C3 trans, but redesigned to add an overdrive ratio and a lock up torque converter.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Actually the Aerostar came with the A4LD automatic overdrive transmission, which was similar to a C3 trans, but redesigned to add an overdrive ratio and a lock up torque converter.
"A rose by any other name".... is still a rose.....it is still a C3 variant, and was an undependable, light duty transmission and IMO, unsuitable for a light truck or van....I had two out of two fail and both were meticulously maintained.

Last edited:

Jim I.

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
"A rose by any other name".... is still a rose.....it is still a C3 variant, and was an undependable, light duty transmission and IMO, unsuitable for a light truck or van....I had two out of two fail and both were meticulously maintained.
Well the C3 worked pretty well in the Pinto! lol:p
I've been working at Ford dealerships since 1977 specializing in Ford automatic transmission repair. You don't need to convince me it was light duty trans and not suitable for a light truck. I paid many a house note working on those things!.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Well the C3 worked pretty well in the Pinto! lol:p
I've been working at Ford dealerships since 1977 specializing in Ford automatic transmission repair. You don't need to convince me it was light duty trans and not suitable for a light truck. I paid many a house note working on those things!.
Agreed.

Besides the '89 Aerostat tranny fail in '98, I drove a '99 Ranger for over 20 years until...yep, tranny fail. But my Ford STILL didn't strand me, just reverse went out and I drove it another 2 or 3 years. No other problems with that 4.0L V6 or the entire truck....just the trans.

Since 1964 I've driven nothing but Fords and have never had a breakdown or been stranded...I can't blame my '17 Escape for coming to a rolling, growling, hissing stop when I totalled it on Chistmas Eve 2019 after hitting a H-U-G-E buck crossing in front of me on a U.S. highway at night as I was doing 55 MPH. :cool:

Smilingreen

Known around here
Reaction score
Agreed.

Besides the '89 Aerostat tranny fail in '98, I drove a '99 Ranger for over 20 years until...yep, tranny fail. But my Ford STILL didn't strand me, just reverse went out and I drove it another 2 or 3 years. No other problems with that 4.0L V6 or the entire truck....just the trans.

Since 1964 I've driven nothing but Fords and have never had a breakdown or been stranded...I can't blame my '17 Escape for coming to a rolling, growling, hissing stop when I totalled it on Chistmas Eve 2019 after hitting a H-U-G-E buck crossing in front of me on a U.S. highway at night as I was doing 55 MPH. :cool:
I have had a few Fords leave me stranded, but I have had some AMC products, GM products, VW products and Dodge products do the same over the decades. My wife's 2019 Kia has left her stranded twice. My 09 F250 with 185K on it has never left me stranded nor has my Audi.

Jim I.

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I learned to work on automatics on a C4. Automatics were money makers. I had a pinto that lost
the vacuum modulator as I test drove it, Boy, when it went, it looked like a WW2 smoke screen!
I used to get a lot of those old Ford transmissions in the shop that had a blown vacuum modulator. I loved rolling up to an unsuspecting tech working in his bay and fog him out! lol!:lmao:
When the diaphragm in the modulator leaked, it would suck transmission fluid straight into the engine, which would create a HUGE white cloud of white smoke!:rofl:

Smilingreen

Known around here
Reaction score
I used to get a lot of those old Ford transmissions in the shop that had a blown vacuum modulator. I loved rolling up to an unsuspecting tech working in his bay and fog him out! lol!:lmao:
When the diaphragm in the modulator leaked, it would suck transmission fluid straight into the engine, which would create a HUGE white cloud of white smoke!:rofl:
That should have quited down any noisy valve lifters.....

Jim I.

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Agreed.

You're lucky you were able to walk away from that deer incident.
Ironically your 99 Ranger had a 5R55e transmission, which was also a descendent of the C3/A4LD transmission!
But it was much stronger, and was also used in the Explorer and Mustang. If you lost reverse but it upshifted normally your reverse band broke.
I had a coworker that had an old Ranger who put it in reverse too quickly right after starting it. The engine was on a fast idle and when he put it in reverse it snapped the reverse band in two.

Smilingreen

Known around here
Reaction score
That was an added benefit. Cleans the carbon from the intake valves and helps with noisy lifters!
Back in the late 70's, early 80's, that was the noisy lifter treatment of choice. Lubed the upper end of the engine and cleared out any mosquitto infestation that might have been residing in your garage. 100% Greta approved.......:thumb:

garycrist

Known around here
Reaction score
The 429 and 460s used to carbon up badly. You could shut the engine off and it would run forever.
We would take them out to the country and burp down 1/2 gallon of ATF through it. Warning make sure
exhaust is down wind! :rofl:
We fogged out KSIR (Hutchinson KS) more than once.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The 429 and 460s used to carbon up badly. You could shut the engine off and it would run forever.
We would take them out to the country and burp down 1/2 gallon of ATF through it. Warning make sure
The County I was at had an older International Harvester boom truck with (IIRC) a old, tired gas Continental V8. It would Diesel so badly it would run for 10 minutes after killing the ignition, as the fuel pump was, of course as it was then, not electric but mechanical.

I'd push in the clutch, put it in low, pull up the tranny brake, set the vacuum brake lock, push down on the brake pedal hard and e-a-s-e out the clutch to kill the beast. :winktongue:

Jim I.

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Good times! lol
Some guys in the shop would also use a little water to break up the carbon. Bring the engine up to a fast idle and pour just a little water down the carburetor. Water doesn't compress, so it would help break up the carbon in the combustion chamber. Sounds crazy, but it worked back then.

Ace844

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
We have different concepts and definitions of whom a 'Pipe Hitter," is. Until I got past the clickbait and into the literal state of things.

I was disappointed not to see a 6 pack with benches and toys, overwatched by a Reaper/DAP....but ya know:idk::cool: