PIR and Sealevel 120e

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
So I've been googling around and I understand the concept of a normally closed relay but I am still confused how this would be connected, I am sure it's very simple but I have not stumbled on just the right website or video to make the light bulb turn on LOL. So I have a BOSCH SECURITY VIDEO ISC-BDL2-WP12G TriTech which is shown here http://resource.boschsecurity.us/documents/ISC_BDL2_WP6__WP12_Installation_Manual_all_2614427019.pdf.

It's got - + NC NC T T, I know how + and - work.

I'm also looking to wire it into this, which I have not purchased yet which has NO C NC as shown here eI/O Ethernet to 4 Optically Isolated Inputs, 4 Form C Relay Outputs Digital Interface Adapter (Item# eIO-120E)

SO, what I am not sure about is what connects to what, or does it matter? Do I put one of the NC's on the PIR to the NC on the sealevel and the other NC to the C on the sealevel, or do I need a particular one of the NC's from the PIR to go to the NC on the sealevel and then the leftover NC goes to the C on the sealevel? I'm all about someone teaching me to fish so if you could explain exactly how the 2 NC's work with the NC and the C on the other device I would be most grateful. Once I understand that I can start looking into hooking up some real motion detection into my system. One last thing, I read that you may need a resistor in between the PIR and whatever you connect to, any insight there would be great also. Sorry I'm a computer nerd but not much of an electrical guy lol.

Everything I find online explains how NC switches and stuff work which is easy but not how to hook this kind of setup up.

Fastb

Known around here
Reaction score
hmjgriffon,

Here's my notes when I connected my Bosch PIR + Radar.
I'm an electrical guy, it's the s/w stuff where I need help from a "computer nerd" (your term, lol)

Attached is the doc I made when coming up with a sensor connection scheme.
- I wanted one scheme, whether dual laser, retro-reflective laser, or PIR + Radar.
- I wanted to use Cat6 for sensors. Convenient RJ45 scheme, use bulk cable of a single type, easy to terminate, patch cables an option, etc.
- I wanted to have female RJ45 sockets hanging from the back of the NVR. Makes it quick to connect, disconnect, move/relacate, etc.
- I wanted my sensors to use a consistent scheme. Avoids risk of shorts if sensor cables get swapped.
- I wanted a "plug & play" situation, by having the female RJ45 dongle hanging from the back of the NVR be "universal" within my system.
- And at the sensor end, I wanted a similar translation scheme, so I could swap in alternate sensors.

So hopefully my docs will help.

Let me back up, in case there's "computer nerd" overload:eek:

To get familiar with the external alarm inputs to the NVR, wrt NC, COM, NO, then I suggest experimenting.
NO:
Connect a jumper from the alarm input "COM" to the "NO" contact.
This "shorts" the NO signal. It's not "Open" any more. And is the Alarm state.
On the NVR, check that the alarm is detected.
connecting/reconnecting should toggle the alarm. When connected, ALARM!
Using the "buzzer" for an alarm event makes this quick work.

NC:
Connect a jumper from the alarm input "COM" to the "NC" contact.
This "shorts" the NC signal. It's "Closed. And is the No Alarm state.
On the NVR, check that the alarm..
Connecting/reconnecting should toggle the alarm. When not connected, ALARM!

Get comfortable with the operation. Then add sensors.

The sensors I used have "dry contacts". It's a relay. COM is connected to NO or NC, depending on sensor state.
Dry contacts, just like the jumpers described above.

Some sensors output voltage when tripped. This is where the resistor comes in.
Instead of relay contacts making/breaking, a voltage is output. Or not. depending on sensor state.
Similar to "TTL" logic.
Or if the sensor trips, and outputs a voltage, that could turn on a light. Or turn on a relay, to switch the big power to floodlight .
The resistor helps make a powered output work with a system expecting dry contacts.

I hope I haven't talked "down" to you! By explaining basics you've already mastered.

Have fun!

Fastb

Attachments

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
hmjgriffon,

Here's my notes when I connected my Bosch PIR + Radar.
I'm an electrical guy, it's the s/w stuff where I need help from a "computer nerd" (your term, lol)

Attached is the doc I made when coming up with a sensor connection scheme.
- I wanted one scheme, whether dual laser, retro-reflective laser, or PIR + Radar.
- I wanted to use Cat6 for sensors. Convenient RJ45 scheme, use bulk cable of a single type, easy to terminate, patch cables an option, etc.
- I wanted to have female RJ45 sockets hanging from the back of the NVR. Makes it quick to connect, disconnect, move/relacate, etc.
- I wanted my sensors to use a consistent scheme. Avoids risk of shorts if sensor cables get swapped.
- I wanted a "plug & play" situation, by having the female RJ45 dongle hanging from the back of the NVR be "universal" within my system.
- And at the sensor end, I wanted a similar translation scheme, so I could swap in alternate sensors.

So hopefully my docs will help.

Let me back up, in case there's "computer nerd" overload:eek:

To get familiar with the external alarm inputs to the NVR, wrt NC, COM, NO, then I suggest experimenting.
NO:
Connect a jumper from the alarm input "COM" to the "NO" contact.
This "shorts" the NO signal. It's not "Open" any more. And is the Alarm state.
On the NVR, check that the alarm is detected.
connecting/reconnecting should toggle the alarm. When connected, ALARM!
Using the "buzzer" for an alarm event makes this quick work.

NC:
Connect a jumper from the alarm input "COM" to the "NC" contact.
This "shorts" the NC signal. It's "Closed. And is the No Alarm state.
On the NVR, check that the alarm..
Connecting/reconnecting should toggle the alarm. When not connected, ALARM!

Get comfortable with the operation. Then add sensors.

The sensors I used have "dry contacts". It's a relay. COM is connected to NO or NC, depending on sensor state.
Dry contacts, just like the jumpers described above.

Some sensors output voltage when tripped. This is where the resistor comes in.
Instead of relay contacts making/breaking, a voltage is output. Or not. depending on sensor state.
Similar to "TTL" logic.
Or if the sensor trips, and outputs a voltage, that could turn on a light. Or turn on a relay, to switch the big power to floodlight .
The resistor helps make a powered output work with a system expecting dry contacts.

I hope I haven't talked "down" to you! By explaining basics you've already mastered.

Have fun!

Fastb

Awesome docs, I will study these, thanks!

Fastb

Known around here
Reaction score
@hmjgriffon

My pleasure! Thanks for your contributions to the forum.

And feel free to ask questions about the cable docs!

Fastb