Pir

Vin Tekiel

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm looking for a good PIR with 2 alarm output (one for the light, one for the camera). There's a few thread on that subject, but couldn't find what I'm looking for. I love those, but couldn't find them in the US. Any recommendations?

Vin Tekiel

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
yes, correct, the motion will trigger both. It's for my front door, I want the light to turn on at night when I'm at the door at night so it is easier to open the door, but i also want the video to record in case it would be someone else. Of course, after that, I want face recognition, with a record of everyone coming to my house and why not unlock the door automatically if the face recognition works well when someone from the family is standing in front of the door.

The more I look into this, the more I'm going toward something like an arduino and it's multiple add-ons sensor that can be used.

Last edited by a moderator:

Vin Tekiel

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
This look pretty, anyone started to look at that? It's not cheap, but look interesting anyway :)

Vin Tekiel

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Lol, sorry @nayr, I just got what you were saying :). No, I need 2 outputs. I want the video to start every single time there is some one at the door. But I want the light to go on only at night and if someone is at the door.

(Education myself on arduino/beaglebone/raspberry pi now) sounds like a lot of fun....

icerabbit

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I've had some thoughts about how/if/when this in the past, but when you say one sensor triggers both ...

How do you trigger both a camera and high voltage light?

How much voltage is allowed and required on the camera trigger?

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Relays my friend, or in this case a Timer backed relay.

http://www.amazon.com/VvW-Relay-Cycle-Timer-Module/dp/B00IP5LMJA

If working with 5v, they also have them in 12v.. test what your camera outputs with a multimeter

The motion sensor will close the circuit, which will trigger the relay timer (pulse activating a timer for a set time and new pulses resetting timer) and activate the camera alarm at the same time.

An arduino and a relay can surely also do the same thing, perhaps even give you more flexibility.. like hooking up numerous forms of logic to trigger an output (ie, calculate sunset/sunrise to determine lighting, but you might need an RealTimeClock for this)

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

icerabbit

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks, as you can tell, I still have a lot to learn about this type of stuff.

So, I will keep that board in mind, but 12v.

Then try to grab some manuals and maybe a book, to connect some of the dots, to move towards practice, beyond ubderstanding things in principle.

Vin Tekiel

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
@nayr

tigal.com have relay board for the beagleboard :) (click board)
arduino also have them. They are called shields <-- Here's an inexpensive one
And of course, raspberry pi has the same kind of add-ons called plates (sainsmart 8 channel for example)

To many options, don't know which one to use :)

Thinking to use the board for my sprinklers too instead of using a dedicated sprinkler system.

Razer

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Use one PIR sensor only and wire the one relay to both the light and the camera. Make the light one that has a light sensor so it only works when it is dark. The one PIR relay goes off and the camera works every time, the light will be triggered every time too but only work when it is dark! Easy as pie and will save you a lot of work.

I have several Pi's around and love them too but in this case no need to make it too complex to at least get started. My daughters science fair project a couple of years ago was ran by a Pi and she made it to State and it was her first time even trying!