pixel strobe on feed's from cameras

Mstein

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi All,

So I just moved my blue iris setup to a new house.
And I noticed that my cam's have a pixel strobe or flash. Alot like a pixel shift if that makes sense. Video is smooth. But when looking at grass or similar objects, it appears that the pixels strobe.
Almost like a stutter in the frame rate.

I can make it less noticeable with Smart codec -- but that drops key frame/iframe to a variable --- also makes playback choppy.

Is it normal ?

Attachments

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Man, if I had a 8 sec. video that good I'd be happy.
But more info needed:
  • Camera make/model?
  • Camera video settings (frame rate, resolution, bit rate type, bit rate, frame interval); screen shot would help
  • BI video HA enabled or not and type if enabled, etc.
Also: have you read this? ==>> Troubleshooting Streaming Problems

Last edited:

Mstein

n3wb
Reaction score
3 different brand cams --- the one in the video was a annke --- all cams do the same thing. IE have the same issue
Annke is in the video
Amcrest
dahue
all settings are very close to the same where they can be. I believe the pics to have everything requested.

Network side is a poe network switch ->Blue Iris nic

Internet is accessed thur a second network nic

Attachments

Mstein

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks bp2008! I knew I had seen that somewhere. Currently out and about.

From what I can see it might not be something I can eliminate. But I will try a few different settings on the cam.
To see if I can minimize.

I can see it on web interface for the camera so it is not blue iris.

I also adjusted the network card so I thought it might be there.

Is there a recommend config for network cards that I also should use ?

Ri22o

Known around here
Reaction score
Confirmed increased the bit rate. Minimized it also lowerd the frame rate a little bit. Helped hide it. Not gone. But not as distracting.
I just figured this was a thing and thought nothing of it. What bit and frame rates are you running? Mine isn't horrible but if going from 8192 to 10k+ will only give marginal change then I won't mess with it.

Mstein

n3wb
Reaction score
I found just giving the cams the ability to send more data fixed it. One cam is 4k and was the biggest offender.

I also might be to chritical due to working as a video person.

Ri22o

Known around here
Reaction score
I found just giving the cams the ability to send more data fixed it. One cam is 4k and was the biggest offender.

I also might be to chritical due to working as a video person.
Mine aren't horrible and is just an occasional dither in the stream. I might up the bitrate and see how it goes. I have mostly all 4mp with one 4k. Without looking I want to say 15fps and 15 iframe with 8192 on all.

Mstein

n3wb
Reaction score
I can look in a bit. I think I am running a lot higher on the bit rate. I only have 3 cams on a physicaly isolated network. So.... I don't worry how much bitrate they use.

Ri22o

Known around here
Reaction score
I can look in a bit. I think I am running a lot higher on the bit rate. I only have 3 cams on a physicaly isolated network. So.... I don't worry how much bitrate they use.
Thanks.

Mine are on their own network as well, so no concerns either.

Mstein

n3wb
Reaction score
so my 8.3 is running at a bitrate of 2000 kb's a second
the 5.3 meg is running half that
and my problem child the 4.1 is running 750kb --- The cam would not allow me to bump it to correct for it.

The other two are good enough. In the end I just cranked them as high as I could to solve it. i watch the cams well I work. So them not blipping or strobing was more important then hard drive space and bandwidth.

Ri22o

Known around here
Reaction score
so my 8.3 is running at a bitrate of 2000 kb's a second
the 5.3 meg is running half that
and my problem child the 4.1 is running 750kb --- The cam would not allow me to bump it to correct for it.

The other two are good enough. In the end I just cranked them as high as I could to solve it. i watch the cams well I work. So them not blipping or strobing was more important then hard drive space and bandwidth.
On the main stream?

Mstein

n3wb
Reaction score
Ya. I don't use sub streams. Sub streams have there plus's but I did not see the need or use case in my situation.

Mstein

n3wb
Reaction score
because you mentioned that it was add --- I checked the amcrest, 8.3 meg pixal cam.

In the cam it's self it is set to 8448kb/s --- but blueiris reports 2000kb/s ---- I don't know why there is such a difference. very odd. 20 FPS key frame every 20

Ri22o

Known around here
Reaction score
Ok, that seems more reasonable. I just went to double with no difference. I just added some and called it good.