PLA - is 200Mbps enough? or $10 more for 500Mbps?

razorseal

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have a 2432 coming in the mail, and I will set it up on wifi with regular power adapter. However I'm thinking of doing PLA for the cameras in the house (except garage where there is no power source from my breaker). I read here that these cameras won't need over 10Mbps per, so it sounds like 200 would be enough... there is a 10 dollar diff between 200 and 500... is it something I should spend the extra 10 bucks on? I mean I know it's just 10 bucks but... perhaps for sake of future proofing?

and I hear they all have to be on the same power grid of something, which I'm not 100% if everything will be. what happens if they're not? (ie: router is in computer room and cameras power off the PLA in living room and kitchen which might not be on same breaker grid) does the speed drop by a big margin?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
200 will be more than sufficient, but the 500 may provide a better signal overall...go based on the reviews...fyi, the 2432 generally does not come with a power supply unless specified by the seller (this is because it supports poe)...

LittleBrother

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Well the TP-LINK 200 mbps and 500 mbps only have 100 mbps ports--or you can pay $60 for the 1 gbps port variant of the 500.

These numbers are inflated best-case anyway. I haven't read many reviews, but assume the 200 is more like 100. But, heck even if it's 50 that's enough for five cams at least.

razorseal

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I don't think I'm going to need 1gb ethernet either. I mean I really don't think I"ll be pushing that much data lol

LittleBrother

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I don't think I'm going to need 1gb ethernet either. I mean I really don't think I"ll be pushing that much data lol
I have a 100 mbps switch with a PC and a couple of 3M cameras and it's more than enough :)

razorseal

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I just read on amazon that when someone uses a amp heavy device (microwave) these start acting up? is that true?

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
it is very possible, however most heavy devices in your house should be on there own circuit (ovens/dryers/hvac) so it mitigates it a bit... but if you run a vaccume cleaner or space heater on same circuit as the PLA it could introduce enough noise to drown out its signal.. You would be wise to avoid doing such things.

Still much less prone to interference than WiFi for most environments.. typically the noise will just slow things down and not kill the connection entirely, and luckily you dont need alot of bandwidth for an IPCam as you already know.

Its not so much high amps but electrical noise they generate.. motors are the biggest problem, fluorescent ballasts are another.. one uses alot of amps the other very little, but both can spew so much EMI that it becomes a problem.. You can put those devices on power conditioners and it will help isolate the problem.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
I use a ZyXEL 500 Mbps kit in my house, but typically see speeds of around 40 Mbps reported by the configuration tool. Each device is plugged in to a different circuit - I don't know how they are related in the breaker box, but they are behind different breaker switches for sure. I only use these adapters for one camera, so it still works fine. I would prefer not to use them at all, but the camera didn't perform well enough on WiFi and this location above the kitchen cupboards would be extremely difficult to run ethernet to.