Placement of camera on side of home (IPC-T5442TM)

generalinq

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi guys,

First I want to say thank you to everyone on this forum for the tips and suggestions. It really helped me a lot.

After reading tons of threads on here, I ordered 4 cameras from Andy and an NVR (IPC-T5442TM and 5216-16P-4KS2). I was surprised how fast I got the cameras (especially considering the current state of COVID/delays). Waiting on the NVR still. :)

I have 2 questions:
1. On one side of my home I have a side door. I am placing a 3.6mm on that side. What I am wondering is if I should place the camera closer to the front of the side (near the garage area under the soffit) facing towards the back of the house OR place the camera closer the back of the house facing towards the front of the house? The side door is located approx. in the middle of the home. Either way, the door falls within approx. 70ppf of the 5442 3.6mm (approx 23feet away). I would think people are more likely to enter the side door from the front (not from the rear yard) so my thought is that the placing it at the back facing the front area is the logical choice. However, placing it at the front facing the back makes the camera more visible to everyone which I prefer.

2. If I mount the camera directly to the brick and have my installer drill a big enough hole to fit the cable through, can this be done without the junction box? (ensuring the base of the camera is waterproofed)

Thank you and appreciate any feedback/suggestions. Much appreciated.

Sphinxicus

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Hi @generalinq and welcome to the forum!

The IPC-T5442TM has great reviews, you should do well with that.

1. On one side of my home I have a side door. I am placing a 3.6mm on that side. What I am wondering is if I should place the camera closer to the front of the side (near the garage area under the soffit) facing towards the back of the house OR place the camera closer the back of the house facing towards the front of the house?
I dont see any pictures/diagrams attached to this post to its hard for me to reccomend. I would decide what role you want that camera to play first and then place it in the spot that enables it to best achieve that role. I made up a long ethernet cable, screwed a camera to a piece of wood and clamped the wood to a ladder. Then i moved the ladder to different places and recorded footage in that location (me walking around pretending to be a shifty person) first before committing to mounting anything in its final place.

The side door is located approx. in the middle of the home. Either way, the door falls within approx. 70ppf of the 5442 3.6mm (approx 23feet away). I would think people are more likely to enter the side door from the front (not from the rear yard) so my thought is that the placing it at the back facing the front area is the logical choice. However, placing it at the front facing the back makes the camera more visible to everyone which I prefer.
This is where you will find that when you thought you only needed X number of cameras, you will actually need Xⁿ (where ⁿ is incremented every time you think about another area of your property) :). Don't try to make the camera do too much or it will not do anything very well. If you want a shot to ID someone then try to focus the camera on a choke point where most people will have to enter. Alternatavely an "overvew" camera can be great to see closer cropped shots in context or to enable you to check a large area of your property for unwanted guests etc.

2. If I mount the camera directly to the brick and have my installer drill a big enough hole to fit the cable through, can this be done without the junction box? (ensuring the base of the camera is waterproofed)
Yes you can mount the camera directly without the use of a junction box. You will need to drill a larger hole to be able to fit the cameras pig-tails through as they will have to reside inside the wall. Make sure to seal around the camera base/wall after mounting it also. Give the junction box a thought though. There are a few mounting options for turrets and i think some of them actually look pretty decent. I personally like the mount in the second picture on this thread.

Good luck

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
how thick is the brick and studwall? is the garage wall sheetrocked inside? might be able to do it if the cord reaches far enough

Reaction score
Sure, mounting it without a junction box can be done, but as said the hole needed to fit all the cabling through will be huge. For the additional (about $20) a junction box will really work a lot better in allowing you to hide cables. Or, use a PFB204W mount that will provide the ability to hide cables, and look much better.