playback recorded video's

Dutchlincoln

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hello,
I've been asked by the police to give them footage between a certain time.
I downloaded these videos from the SD card in the hik 4mp to view them, but i cannot play them with anything.
They are all marked MP4, but VLC gives the first frame, and shows nothing more. Time at the bottom goes further.

Can anyone tell me whats wrong there?

All video's are like this.

i'm getting a bit aggrevated on the hikvision issues, and am thinking its a crappy cam, better not invest in this brand anymore...

framednlv

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I use GOM Player for viewing videos and Any Video Converter for simple editing and format conversion.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
There will likely be nothing wrong with the videos - Hikvision just use H.264, in common with most other IP cameras these days.
VLC for Windows should certainly work OK as it supports H.264 natively. Do you have another PC to try it on? What does VLC show when you look at the Media info?
You could also prove that the video is OK using Windows Media Player - after you install an H.264 codec as WMP doesn't support it natively.
I'm sure the Police will be fine with the video considering the variety of sources they must receive them from.

Kawboy12R

Known around here
Reaction score
Try uploading to YouTube. It can convert and play all kinds of things. You'll lose some of the sharpness on playback though.