Please check out my network Diagram for this installation. I'd like feedback and opinions. Dahua IP system 3 cameras with Ubiquiti Nanobeams

Reaction score
Alright I first want to thank you guys for your feedback.

I will first briefly speak about the installation map. So, there will be 3 cameras on 3 detached garages. Each garage will have a Ubiquiti Nanobeam on it, The Main garage will store the NVR and internet. The main garage will also have an access point receiving the signal from the other 2 detached garages.

Question 1: Does everything make sense with the wiring Diagram?

Question 2: Regarding the IP addresses for the camera, is DHCP or static better?

Question 3: There has been power issues at the main hub. The power will go out for multiple hours (we are fixing this). When it turns back on, only the 2 cameras from the Nano stations pop back online, but the camera that is directly wired to the NVR at the main hub, won't appear online. In the camera list I will remove it and attempt to re-add it to the list. The problem is the IP address disappears and won't re-appear when I search. The only way to get that camera to come online again is by disconnecting the ubiquiti wire from the NVR. Then the camera will come online, Once it is online, i then plug in the ubuiqiti wire back in and then all the cameras will appear online again and we are good to go.

Solution: I want to be able to have all the cameras come back online automatically when the power cuts off and back on. Any Ideas?

I attached a photo below of the diagram.

THANKS!!

Attachments

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

I will first briefly speak about the installation map. So, there will be 3 cameras on 3 detached garages. Each garage will have a Ubiquiti Nanobeam on it, The Main garage will store the NVR and internet. The main garage will also have an access point receiving the signal from the other 2 detached garages.

Question 2: Regarding the IP addresses for the camera, is DHCP or static better?

Question 3: There has been power issues at the main hub. The power will go out for multiple hours (we are fixing this). When it turns back on, only the 2 cameras from the Nano stations pop back online, but the camera that is directly wired to the NVR at the main hub, won't appear online. In the camera list I will remove it and attempt to re-add it to the list. The problem is the IP address disappears and won't re-appear when I search. The only way to get that camera to come online again is by disconnecting the ubiquiti wire from the NVR. Then the camera will come online, Once it is online, i then plug in the ubuiqiti wire back in and then all the cameras will appear online again and we are good to go.

Solution: I want to be able to have all the cameras come back online automatically when the power cuts off and back on. Any Ideas?

THANKS!!
Hi @Happy Homes

from my experience with my Dahua OEM NVR:

NVR's PoE ports -> cameras attached will be a separate IP range than those coming in from the LAN port of the NVR

So expect to use whatever IP addresses you are using on the LAN that the NVR is connected to, not the IP addresses from the NVRs PoE ports.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Fixed IP addresses are the only way to go with key network equipment, like cameras and RF links. In fact my RF links are on a completely different IP network scheme from everything else both to keep traffic on the main networks, LAN and camera, lower and to improve security a little more.

Reaction score
Hi @Happy Homes

from my experience with my Dahua OEM NVR:

NVR's PoE ports -> cameras attached will be a separate IP range than those coming in from the LAN port of the NVR

So expect to use whatever IP addresses you are using on the LAN that the NVR is connected to, not the IP addresses from the NVRs PoE ports.
Hey to clarify the Ubiquiti nano beam is also plugged into the Poe port

NightLife

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Is this set to "Static" rather than DHCP, in your Dahua camera settings, through the web UI:

Screen Shot 2022-01-09 at 13.25.50.png

Is it possible your NVR hands out a new IP with the NVR default subnet after a power outage, due to that one camera being plugged directly into the NVR PoE port?

What would happen if the camera plugged into the NVR directly, were instead, plugged into the router directly (using a PoE injector)?

Last edited:

johnstjs

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score

THANKS!!
I have a setup similar to yours, with a few key differences, and it seems to be very stable. I always had problems whenever I plugged anything directly into my Dahua NVR so I connect everything via an external PoE switch that the NVR uplink is also connected to (you need to use the NVR as a router and have different networks on the uplink vs the camera sides if you connect devices directly to it - took that out of the equation). I have cameras directly connected to that PoE switch and others connected remotely. For the remote cameras, I am using the Ubiquiti Mesh Pro devices rather than the Nanobeam (we also had a need to wifi coverages at the remote areas and this fit the bill). So at the remote locations (in your case, the remote garages), there is a Ubiquiti Mesh AP connected to a PoE switch that also has cameras connected to it. That AP is uplinked wireless back to the main Mesh AP where the router is. The Nanobeams should do the same thing, but I'm not familiar with them. As far as static vs dhcp - like everyone else I would always prefer static on a small network. But I had a couple of cameras that would revert to DHCP whenever they power cycled so I just switched everything to DHCP with reserved leases so I know what IPs go where.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hey to clarify the Ubiquiti nano beam is also plugged into the Poe port
Welcome @JohnParedesIP

good point on the diagram, the reason why I posted what I did:

in general connecting switches to ( at least some NVRs ) NVR's PoE ports I have found problematic

Thus, I only directly connect cameras to my PoE ports on my NVR, and any additional networking gear that is required and the attached cameras I route through the NVR uplink ( LAN ) port.

Yes, for most of us who have not used NVRs we would expect the NVR to behave more like a Switch that we have used .. and this is a typical new to NVRs learning experience that the NVRs PoE ports are not equal to typical switch ports.

.. I always had problems whenever I plugged anything directly into my Dahua NVR so I connect everything via an external PoE switch that the NVR uplink is also connected to..