Please review my potential BI hardware purchase

rick442

n3wb
Reaction score
My Avalonix (rebranded Dahua) DVR was hacked (likely through a backdoor or P2P). It was on its own VLAN so the damage appears contained, however I no longer trust the DVR and I'm planning on moving to BI. I read the BI WIKI and think I know what I need, but wanted to check in with those that have been here, done that before I buy anything.

I want to be capable of running ten 4MP cameras at 15 FPS. This worked out to 600 Megapixels/sec. Looking at the WIKI for what processor to buy I am thinking of choosing the Intel Core i5 10400, 6 Core, 10th Gen CPU. I want to purchase a new computer for this and was thinking the Acer Aspire TC-875-UR15 looked to be a good fit.
The system specs are:
-The above mentioned Intel Core I5
-16GB 2666Mhz DDR4 RAM
-512 GB SSD, Integrated Intel UHD Graphics 630
-GB Ethernet
-300W power supply
-Win 10 Home
In addition I will remove and format my 6TB hard drive from my old DVR, add it to my new computer, and use that for bulk storage.

Based on my needs does anyone see a problem with this configuration? Will I need a 2nd mortgage for the power consumption? Is it worth saving $100 by ditching the solid state drive and 8GB of ram? Anything else?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Sorry to hear about your hacked system.

While that would certainly work, with the substream option you can get by with a much cheaper system.

You don't need to buy components and build one or buy a new computer or have the newest CPU.

Many of us buy refurbished computers that are business class computers that have come off lease. The one I bought I kid you not I could not tell that it was a refurbished unit - not a speck of dust or dents or scratches on it. It appeared to me like everything was replaced and I would assume just the motherboard with the intel processor is what was from the original unit. I went with the lowest end processor on the WIKI list as it was the cheapest and it runs my system fine. Could probably get going for $200 or so.

Someone here in the past month got a 4th generation with 1TB SSD, 8GB of RAM, Win 10 Pro for less than $150.

Another member here runs 50 cameras on a 4th generation at sub 30% CPU.

Even though you have VLANS, you may want to consider adding another ethernet to the computer and run a dual NIC to further keep the cameras off the internet.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
I'd say look for something with Win10/Pro rather than Home. Pro lets you stop updates fairly easily while Home is a real PITA to get it to stop updating. That's fairly important to do especially with video drivers.

rick442

n3wb
Reaction score
Wittaja and sebastiantombs, thanks for the advice! Since I am now going to need a POE switch for the cameras I was considering on installing ethernet NIC and purchasing a unmanaged POE switch just for the cameras. I'll go ahead with that now and possibly look at refurbished computer. I'll also pass on Win 10 Home and go with Pro. I had read somewhere in this form that it was possible to disable auto updates in Home, but didn't look into it any deeper.