Please suggest indoor camera to monitor a 15' x 25' room

JeepThing

n3wb
Reaction score
I use a Foscam FI9821W PT camera to monitor a 15' x 25' room while we are away. The remaining time it faces out a front window to supplement my other cameras (though it's useless at night). I'm going to give this camera to my son to use as a baby monitor.

Can you guys suggest an indoor camera to replace the Foscam? It doesn't need to be PT/PTZ. I do want 2-way audio, higher resolution, and better night vision. I've been thinking about the Hikvision DS-2CD2432F-IW 3mp 2.8mm Cube. Are there other cameras I should consider?

jasauders

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I'll let others chime in with other recommendations I don't have nearly the experience to feel confident in recommending other units, but I just hooked up two 2432's to act as baby cameras for our youngsters. So far I've been happy with them. I will say that I originally ran both as wireless. Ever since putting one of them on a POE hard line (hard wiring the other camera is this weekend's project), it acts much better.

Were you planning to wifi it, or hard wire/POE it?

klasipca

Banned
Reaction score
I have been using 2432 to monitor about the same size room 25'x25' and it's been fine for over 2 years, but not that great for night image, the IR is a bit weak on it. I am yet to find a better indoor cam though that has built-in microphone, compact that would give me a better picture.

JeepThing

n3wb
Reaction score
I'll let others chime in with other recommendations I don't have nearly the experience to feel confident in recommending other units, but I just hooked up two 2432's to act as baby cameras for our youngsters. So far I've been happy with them. I will say that I originally ran both as wireless. Ever since putting one of them on a POE hard line (hard wiring the other camera is this weekend's project), it acts much better.

Were you planning to wifi it, or hard wire/POE it?
Thank you for the reply. I have CAT6 / POE throughout my house.

I think the reason most people have issues when using wireless is that these cameras only support 2.4GHz and the spectrum is flooded. To properly setup wireless one needs to perform a wireless site survey to see what channels, if any, are available to use. In many cases, 2.4GHz won't work well due to conflicting networks in the area.

I have been using 2432 to monitor about the same size room 25'x25' and it's been fine for over 2 years, but not that great for night image, the IR is a bit weak on it. I am yet to find a better indoor cam though that has built-in microphone, compact that would give me a better picture.
Excellent. I guess for the night image I'll just have to leave a lamp on.

jasauders

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I never gave the 2432's a second thought with night vision, as originally they were both awesome. But I also had each camera very close to the crib/bed of my kids. With the new ethernet I ran a few nights ago, I put the camera on the other side of the still-rather-small room. It looks more grainy at night now, whereas the other 2432 still looks great (but keep in mind the better looking one is in very close proximity to that kiddo's bed).

I think I may just run a longer ethernet line along the floor from the wall plate I put in (easy to hide + attach to baseboard via plastic wire tie mount clips) and get it closer to the crib for a better night picture.

In short, great camera (seriously, love these things), but I agree with klasipca, after having moved mine a bit further away I was a little disappointed in the way the quality of the image dropped. It's still "good" for sure, but it's not as crisp as it was prior when it was closer.

The other idea is to put in a dedicated IR light elsewhere in the room but aiming at the same focal point of the 2432. I've done that before with the outside camera, worked well, but I ended up just turning on the porch light instead.

klasipca

Banned
Reaction score
Instead of leaving lamp on you could get external IR and bounce it against ceiling. It uses less watts and give you a better picture at night.

http://www.amazon.com/CMVision-IR3-WideAngle-Degree-Illuminator/dp/B008GTAPSO/ref=sr_1_24?ie=UTF8&qid=1461949734&sr=8-24&keywords=ir+light

Also, my second choice in terms of cams would be Dahua turret cam, it is on the larger side, but microphone is better on it and night image a bit better too. No wifi though

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Dahua-IPC-HDW4431C-A-Built-in-MIC-HD-4MP-IR-30m-IP-Camera-security-cctv-Dome/32580229073.html

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

JeepThing

n3wb
Reaction score
I think I'll order the external IR. The lamp has a 9w LED bulb, but I've been wanting to learn how to use external IR. I wanted to use them on my Hikvision cameras, but don't know how I would discretely mount them on the house.

Question... What's the advantage/disadvantages of a turret camera compared to a dome or bullet? It seems the turrets I've looked at all have better night images.

jasauders

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Just to offer a night time comparison, here's one image with the crib further away. After talking to my wife about moving the camera, she liked the idea of just moving the crib closer to get it away from the window blinds (something the little one has been messing with more).

Both images are the exact same Hikvision 2432 3mp cube, exact same settings, etc. Both are right around 4 AM. The only difference is the crib position. The sharpness of the lines and whatnot in the 2nd image looks more clear. I think some of this has to do with the way the rest of the room soaks up some of the IR in the first image, whereas in the second, you can see the IR is more pronounced on the crib area, likely due to it being closer.

vlcsnap-2016-04-30-12h52m32s013.pngvlcsnap-2016-04-30-12h52m23s946.png

pozzello

Known around here
Reaction score
funny how they like to cram themselves into the corners, isn't it? Our kids did that also... ;-)

jasauders

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
funny how they like to cram themselves into the corners, isn't it? Our kids did that also... ;-)
Yep. It wasn't until I put the camera in place that I figured out what the banging sound was. I'd hear it, run in there, she'd be asleep and still, leaving me rather ??? as to what it was. Once the camera was in, she would nuzzle her way around, hit the wall a few times, stop, and park it there and fall asleep, all quick enough that until I got up and checked on her, the event was already over. Good stuff. ;)

JeepThing

n3wb
Reaction score
I ordered and received the camera yesterday via Amazon Prime same day delivery ($130 shipped). The camera is up and running. So far I'm happy with it. At first the audio wasn't working, but a firmware upgrade fixed the issue.

Now I have to permanently mount the camera and setup geofencing. My wife and daughter don't like the idea of the camera recording while we are at home.