Plugging of nvr and ip cameras to the internet

Reaction score
Hello, i am new in cctv, please how best the plugging ip cameras system with nvr to the internet?
Is my example right or need to be involved differently? Thank you.
1 varianta.png

cyberwolf_uk

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Yes that looks good.... One suggestion, If you have enough ports on your POE switch you could wire your cameras direct to the switch then one feed to the NVR. This will allow you to hide the NVR somewhere secure in your property.

Reaction score
Ok thank you for your suggestion.So, best solution for me is plugging poe switch with router and into this poe switch plugging NVR and cameras. If i have five network cameras and 8 port poe switch. And NVR slots to use in the case of cameras extensions?

cyberwolf_uk

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
upload_2018-2-28_14-30-22.png

But like I said your option is fine, this just allows you to hide you NVR somewhere secure and the freedom to move it around. You just don't use your POE ports on your NVR, you use the ones on your POE switch

Reaction score
OK but if i have 5 poe cameras and on the switch are 4 poe slots..Can i one camera plugging in poe slot in NVR? It is best solution for me?

cyberwolf_uk

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
OK but if i have 5 poe cameras and on the switch are 4 poe slots..Can i one camera plugging in poe slot in NVR? It is best solution for me?
You can but sort of defeats the object as you may not have the freedom to hide your NVR. In your situation it would probably be best to just wire all your cameras to your NVR and see if you can run enough cables from your cameras to hide / secure your NVR. Or if your funds are there buy another POE switch with more ports. But like I've said before your original solution works fine, I was just offering my 2 cents as if you are unlucky enough to get hit at least your footage of the scum may be kept safe due to the fact they couldn't find / didn't know where your storage device (NVR) was.

Reaction score
But this solution of system is not reasonable and safe. Or ?....PLS give me feedback for my used technologies. I want use:
Cameras - 2 x Hikvision DS-2CD2622FWD-IS (exterier) + 3 x Hikvision DS-2DE-2202-DE3/W (interier)
NVR - Hikvision DS-7608NI-E2/8P/A + 2TB SATA
POE SWITCH - HIKVISION DS-3E1310P-E
Will be this solution effective and compatible ? Thank you for your time.

Last edited:

TimD43

n3wb
Reaction score
So if it's feasible to connect cameras to an external POE switch, and then just connect the POE switch to one port of the NVR, is it still necessary to buy a 8- or 16-port NVR? Could I buy a 4-port NVR and then hook up 8 or more cameras to it using a separate POE switch? Or do the "guts" of the NVR need to be scaled up in order to handle the load of more cameras?

For instance, could I get a 16-port POE switch, connect 10 cameras to it, and then have one cable going to my internet router and another going to the NVR if the NVR only has 4 camera ports? This would seem to be a good way to potentially save some money (assuming the price differential of a 4-port and 8-port NVR is greater than the cost of a 16-port POE switch, of course).

Sorry if this is a newb question, but I'm a newb.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
So if it's feasible to connect cameras to an external POE switch, and then just connect the POE switch to one port of the NVR, is it still necessary to buy a 8- or 16-port NVR? Could I buy a 4-port NVR and then hook up 8 or more cameras to it using a separate POE switch? Or do the "guts" of the NVR need to be scaled up in order to handle the load of more cameras?

Sorry if this is a newb question, but I'm a newb.
the ports on the nvr are irrelevant...the "channels" is what sets a hard limit.

TimD43

n3wb
Reaction score
the ports on the nvr are irrelevant...the "channels" is what sets a hard limit.
So I assume that typically the number of ports mirrors the number of channels? They wouldn't sell a 4-port NVR that supports 8 channels?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
So I assume that typically the number of ports mirrors the number of channels? They wouldn't sell a 4-port NVR that supports 8 channels?
No that is not correct...they have 32 channel nvrs with 16 ports...the others are connect via a switch someplace on the network

TimD43

n3wb
Reaction score
No that is not correct...they have 32 channel nvrs with 16 ports...the others are connect via a switch someplace on the network
Thanks, this is all good information to consider as I try to figure out the best system to buy for my house. :)

ruasonid

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Yes that looks good.... One suggestion, If you have enough ports on your POE switch you could wire your cameras direct to the switch then one feed to the NVR. This will allow you to hide the NVR somewhere secure in your property.
In this case is there any significant difference in terms of performance with regard throughput to the NVR from all connected cameras being local vs. a switch hop and, presumably, a gigabit link cable? Are there any differences from a networking (subnet) perspective?

cyberwolf_uk

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
You will not see any difference in performance. Gigabit link cable and your cameras will only be 100meg anyway as that will be the spec of them. If you are running new cable use cat6e for future proof but 5e will be fine if that's what you already have. Just make sure you use solid core cable and not cheap copper clad aluminium CCA.

Shockwave199

Known around here
Reaction score
If you're not going to use the poe ports on the nvr than don't buy a poe nvr. Most people would recommend you don't anyway, for easier installation and easier camera settings configuration. I happen to prefer poe nvr but that's just me.

TimD43

n3wb
Reaction score
If you're not going to use the poe ports on the nvr than don't buy a poe nvr. Most people would recommend you don't anyway, for easier installation and easier camera settings configuration. I happen to prefer poe nvr but that's just me.
Can you recommend any non-POE NVRs? I haven't been able to find any that aren't POE-equipped. Since realizing this was a possibility, I'd much rather put the NVR near my living room TV, and terminate all the cameras at a POE switch in my equipment closet than keep the NVR in the closet where I'd need to find a way to stash a monitor.

cyberwolf_uk

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Can you recommend any non-POE NVRs? I haven't been able to find any that aren't POE-equipped. Since realizing this was a possibility, I'd much rather put the NVR near my living room TV, and terminate all the cameras at a POE switch in my equipment closet than keep the NVR in the closet where I'd need to find a way to stash a monitor.
Depending on budget and cameras...

If you have Dahua Cameras

Aliexpress.com : Buy NVR4208 4KS2 8CH 4K NVR Model Onvif 1U 4K Network Video Recorder NVR4208 4KS2 ,free DHL shipping from Reliable onvif 8ch suppliers on Empire Technology Co., Ltd 8 Channel

Aliexpress.com : Buy NVR4104 4KS2 4 Channel Smart 1U 4K&H.265 Network Video Recorder NVR4104 4KS2 free shipping from Reliable channel suppliers on Empire Technology Co., Ltd 4 Channel

But the above would work with Hikvision cameras for example you just wouldn't be able to user the smart features of these cameras on the Dahua NVR and visa versa.

ruasonid

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score

cyberwolf_uk

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
In terms of alarm outputs...

Alarm Action:FTP Photo

Is that the sum total of its capability? No possibility to output to a trigger that could be routed into a Z-Wave smart home scenario?
The model I posted there is 4 alarm inputs and 2 outputs. Not messed around with Z-Wave so can't give you a concrete answer but if you want any information regarding config of these inputs, then this link is very informative NVR/Recording Setup/Physical Alarm - Dahua Wiki