POE cable length....?

badmop

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I wanted to see what some of you may say about a 230foot POE cat6 run of cable for a 4mp Dahua POE camera. Any of you had any advice or things to look out for when running a cable that long? I know 328foot is the max for POE, but I was curious on the advice some of you may have. The furthest run I've done was a little over 100feet.

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Make sure it's as fat as possible. Lowest AWG. Shielded would be a good idea too.

Q™

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I wanted to see what some of you may say about a 230foot POE cat6 run of cable for a 4mp Dahua POE camera. Any of you had any advice or things to look out for when running a cable that long? I know 328foot is the max for POE, but I was curious on the advice some of you may have. The furthest run I've done was a little over 100feet.
I've run POE over 250 feet of Cat5e.

badmop

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
What do you mean by "fat as possible"? :D

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks, I figured no issues, just wasn't sure if any of you had run into some weird issues or anything. We all know how tech can be, lol. It can not work because it's in a mood, lol.

badmop

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I gotcha, I wasn't sure exactly what was meant. I may do some conduit, I'm going to run probably 2 cables to that area, which I highly doubt I will ever need a 2nd one at this spot, but just in case if the first cable stops working for whatever reason. I've always found it's best to run more cables than you need the first time, because you never know. :)

Use shielded solid copper cable. If installing underground get cable "rated" for direct burial (gel-filled).

Q™

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I gotcha, I wasn't sure exactly what was meant...
Disregard! Sometimes @Del Boy sprinkles too much LSD on his Cherrios in the morning. smiley5.gif

If you do conduit use Gel filled direct burial cable anyway; I like to say "it's not if buried conduit will fill with water...but when."

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
What do you mean by "fat as possible"? :D

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks, I figured no issues, just wasn't sure if any of you had run into some weird issues or anything. We all know how tech can be, lol. It can not work because it's in a mood, lol.
He was talking about wire gauge/size (AWG). The diameter of a 23AWG wire is bigger than a 24AWG, etc. Bigger wires handle more current and less voltage drop at long distances because the resistance is lower. As long as you buy bulk cable you have to terminate yourself there will be no issues.

If you buy some preterminated 26awg or higher flat cable for example you may have problems at longer distances.