POE camera recommendation

Garypsu

n3wb
Reaction score
I'm looking for a 1080p or better POE outdoor camera. I would prefer one that can be viewed on a mobile web browser - iOS and/or Android. I need a wide angle lens (at least 75 degrees) and night vision. Just a stand alone camera, no DVR. $150 maximum. I'm returning a Hikvision to Amazon because of viewer freezing issues that I am unable to fix.
Thank you.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm looking for a 1080p or better POE outdoor camera. I would prefer one that can be viewed on a mobile web browser - iOS and/or Android. I need a wide angle lens (at least 75 degrees) and night vision. Just a stand alone camera, no DVR. $150 maximum. I'm returning a Hikvision to Amazon because of viewer freezing issues that I am unable to fix.
Thank you.
If the hikvision was fine other than viewing issues, buy it from a reputable seller that has US region cameras so you can run the latest firmware. You might also consider an alternative remote viewing app like tinycam or ipcamviewer

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
none play in a mobile browser, all require native applications..

there are more than one app to play back live, if they all gave you trouble then its likely your device or wireless network cant deal with h264 hd video and another 1080p camera from someone else will struggle in the same ways.

Garypsu

n3wb
Reaction score
Tinycam viewing my HikVision freezes also. Ipcamviewer scan finds my camera, but video "fails". I have two indoor cameras, a Trendnet and a HooToo. They both work locally on mobile safari on my iPad & iPhone with just an ip address and a forwarded port. They also work with my no-ip DDNS. They only have 640 resolution. I'm not sure what compression method they use. They are a few years old. I have 50/50 Verizon FIOS which should be more than adequate for the HikVision.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
your Verizon fios internet speeds has nothing to do with your wireless network's capabilities, a 640 resolution feed would be a piece of cake.. and is likly just jpeg so yeah thats why it plays in a browser.

HD h264 video uses an encoding format that requires a few things:
Hardware Support, without it video performance sucks
Good network, without it video performance sucks (not just internet, HD video crushes poor Wifi you need GREAT wifi)
Browser plugin or Native App, without it video performance sucks

all hd video systems have these requirements.. welcome to high def... that jpeg encoding is long dead, it'd take 350GB a day to save HD video like that, compressing it better lets you store it at 65GB a day.. but it takes more resources.

Last edited by a moderator:

Garypsu

n3wb
Reaction score
your Verizon fios internet speeds has nothing to do with your wireless network's capabilities, a 640 resolution feed would be a piece of cake.. and is likly just jpeg so yeah thats why it plays in a browser.

HD h264 video uses an encoding format that requires a few things:
Hardware Support, without it video performance sucks
Good network, without it video performance sucks (not just internet, HD video crushes poor Wifi you need GREAT wifi)
Browser plugin or Native App, without it video performance sucks

all hd video systems have these requirements.. welcome to high def... that jpeg encoding is long dead, it'd take 350GB a day to save HD video like that, compressing it better lets you store it at 65GB a day.. but it takes more resources.
Thanks for the response. I understand what you are saying, but I'm using wired (POE), not wireless. Doesn"t that make a difference?

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
what device are you playing the client on? is that also on wired? if not the weakest link is still wifi. you said mobile browser so I have to assume its not wired.

does the camera 'hang' when playing it on a client also on the wired network? that should be something you check.. if thats not still the case then we need details on your client, what is it hardware wise? is it modern enough to handle h264 video? some older computers really struggle with any HD video.

Garypsu

n3wb
Reaction score
what device are you playing the client on? is that also on wired? if not the weakest link is still wifi. you said mobile browser so I have to assume its not wired.

does the camera 'hang' when playing it on a client also on the wired network? that should be something you check.. if thats not still the case then we need details on your client, what is it hardware wise? is it modern enough to handle h264 video? some older computers really struggle with any HD video.
The viewers all still freeze when using a wired Windows 10 core i7 laptop. I'm retuning the Hikvision camera to Amazon today. Do you have another brand of ip camera to recommend that will work with Tinycam? I like that viewer. It appears to have the ability to broadcast to my Chromecast, if I were to buy the in app upgrade. My needs are for 1080p minimum, POE, outdoor weather proof, and wide angle (3.6-4mm) lens.

pozzello

Known around here
Reaction score
perhaps an IP address collision? you're sure the cam has its own unique IP not used elsewhere on the network?

also, have you eliminated wiring issues?
i mean, swapped out the cable connecting your cam to your network,
or if that's not feasable, recrimp the ends.
Or bring the cam in to try with a short known-good patch cable.

point being that if wiring is at fault, a different cam won't make any difference...

Garypsu

n3wb
Reaction score
perhaps an IP address collision? you're sure the cam has its own unique IP not used elsewhere on the network?

also, have you eliminated wiring issues?
i mean, swapped out the cable connecting your cam to your network,
or if that's not feasable, recrimp the ends.
Or bring the cam in to try with a short known-good patch cable.

point being that if wiring is at fault, a different cam won't make any difference...
Thanks. I did check with a different short cable. It's not the wiring. I already returned it via he UPS store. Amazon is great for that. The HikVision picture was beautiful, but the freezing during streaming was a deal breaker for me.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks. I did check with a different short cable. It's not the wiring. I already returned it via he UPS store. Amazon is great for that. The HikVision picture was beautiful, but the freezing during streaming was a deal breaker for me.
The problem is not hikvision...there are thousands of users here with hikvision cameras that dont have this freezing issue..its either a network issue or a problem with the firmware on that specific camera..

Garypsu

n3wb
Reaction score
The problem is not hikvision...there are thousands of users here with hikvision cameras that dont have this freezing issue..its either a network issue or a problem with the firmware on that specific camera..
I hear you. The product was the US version, but a note in the package indicated not to go to HikVision for software updates or tech support. That bothered me also. I have 3 indoor IP cameras that do not freeze while streaming. Two are wireless and one is connected via Ethernet to my router. They are only 640x480, but work well. I lowered the bit rate, the resolution and frame rate on the HikVision, and it was still freezing. Maybe I'm just snake bitten, but I'd rather try a different brand. Thanks for your response. Can you recommend another brand?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I hear you. The product was the US version, but a note in the package indicated not to go to HikVision for software updates or tech support. That bothered me also. I have 3 indoor IP cameras that do not freeze while streaming. Two are wireless and one is connected via Ethernet to my router. They are only 640x480, but work well. I lowered the bit rate, the resolution and frame rate on the HikVision, and it was still freezing. Maybe I'm just snake bitten, but I'd rather try a different brand. Thanks for your response. Can you recommend another brand?
If they told you not to upgrade the firmware, there is no chance it was a US region camera. Its was a china camera that was hacked. You can try dahua. Hikvision is essentially the leading ip camera manufacture in the world, they are not there because their cameras freeze. Dont be afraid to try another form a reputable vendor.