PoE camera with Eero Pro

emailrob

n3wb
Reaction score
I have a Dahua dome PoE camera which sits on the front of the house. It has a PoE injector that has been running fine into a wifi extender (that has an ethernet outlet). This connects into my local network so i can see the camera on Blue Iris.

I have two Eero 6 pros and bought the 3rd one to see if I can get a better signal in the garage. It has spare ethernet ports on the rear. Hooked it up. Eero shows it has a device connected. Camera has power as I can hear it reset.

But the light on the PoE injector is red - which usually indicates an issue. And I cannot see the camera on my local network at all via Blue Iris.

I checked the cables and they are all OK - what else could I check? I've assumed I can just plug the cam into the Eero with the injector as normal and it'll pick up a signal.

This is the injector I have, which works fine with the PoE extender

For additional context (in case it matters)...!
  • My 'base' Eero is connected to my Unifi switch. Is there something different I should be doing on the switch? The Dahua does not appear as a device in my Dashboard. The base Eero itself does.
  • the Dahua 'Configtoo' windows app shows the camera listed, including an IP address/port. However, when I go to that website it fails and no login to the camera. When I was using the wifi extender, this would take me to the camera login site.

So the NETWORK seems to see it, it seems. It shows as connected in the Eero app, and the Dahua desktop app shows the device with an IP. Just I can't get it to find in BlueIris at all. Tried searching with no information, and various combinations of IP/ports.

Thanks in advance!

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Is your BI server plugged into the Unifi switch or the router that the Unifi is plugged into?
Does the BI server have a static IP on the same subnet as the cam?
Is it safe to assume that on the POE injector that the camera is connected to "P + DATA OUT" and the Eero is connected to "DATA IN" ?

emailrob

n3wb
Reaction score
Thank you for the detailed questions, see below.

Is your BI server plugged into the Unifi switch or the router that the Unifi is plugged into?
- My router is connected to the UniFi switch. My Home PC (which runs BI Server) is plugged into the UniFi directly. The Eero is plugged directly into the Unifi switch.

Does the BI server have a static IP on the same subnet as the cam?
- static IP? Don't think so, I'll see if I can have Eero assign one.

Is it safe to assume that on the POE injector that the camera is connected to "P + DATA OUT" and the Eero is connected to "DATA IN" ?
- yes, I tried it both ways just in case.

There's a chance the UniFi switch is confusing things somehow? I (think) I have a dumb switch I could perhaps try to see if that would isolate the issue?

Last edited:

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
No, its likely not the switch.

Routers assign IP's to devices that are set to DHCP, you really need to assign a static IP to the BI server yourself, use a unique IP that is in the same subnet as the router's LAN but is OUTSIDE the router's DHCP pool.

The Dahua cam likely has the static IP of 192.168.1.108.

The router's LAN, the BI server and the cam need all be in the same private subnet, such as 192.168.1.XXX or 192.168.0.XXX or 10.1.1.XXX or the like.

Last edited:

emailrob

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks. Yes, the cam is set to 192.168.1.109, and a 5 digit Port (IIRC I set that manually in the camera configuration before so it didn't conflict). I did a reservation for the Home PC in Eero.

I even tried the Dahua app (DMSS). It shows the camera by searching. But once I get to the login it won't connect. But the user/pass is correct. It doesn't 'appear' when I search using BI Desktop, but I've had that before so doesn't necessarily mean its not there (for context, my other LaView camera is connected directly to the UniFi switch and has worked all the way through this process!)

If it gets that far - it seems like its connected to the network? I guess I could re-attach using the wifi extender and see if I can reset it and try from scratch?

Follow up - in Eero there is a WAN Type. Should this be set to HDCP, Static IP, or PPPoe?

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks. Yes, the cam is set to 192.168.1.109, and a 5 digit Port (IIRC I set that manually in the camera configuration before so it didn't conflict). I did a reservation for the Home PC in Eero.
For what purpose is the "5 digit port"?
HTTP?
RTSP?
(for context, my other LaView camera is connected directly to the UniFi switch and has worked all the way through this process!)
Does it have a "5 digit port" set as well?

Follow up - in Eero there is a WAN Type. Should this be set to HDCP, Static IP, or PPPoe?
Probably DHCP even though you're likely getting a double NAT, but not a big issue with fast Internet.
The alternative would be static IP's for everything downstream from the router, all in the same subnet as the router's LAN and the first Eero plugged into a router LAN port.

Last edited:

emailrob

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello, thanks again.

I hooked the camera up with the old extender and changed it back to DHCP on the cam itself (it was down as static IP).
It changed the IP address of the cam, but when I did a blueiris search it came up right away!

Should I reserve that IP in Eero then?

emailrob

n3wb
Reaction score
Yes.
I'm curious...what IP was assigned in relation to the router's DHCP pool and/or LAN IP?
Those are private IP's so it's OK to share....just don't share the router's WAN IP.
Hi, definitely something isn't set up right. Because in BlueIris the remote configuration wizard shows it as 0.0.0.0

Do you mean the PC LAH (taken from an /ipconfig on the Ethernet IPv4 address 192.1XX.X.XXX) or the BlueIris login page (172.XX.XX.X)

emailrob

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks, yes. Well its working OK as I can now see the camera. But getting it setuip for remote viewing isn't working now. I've never had this error when it shows 0.0.0.0

Attachments

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks, yes. Well its working OK as I can now see the camera. But getting it setuip for remote viewing isn't working now. I've never had this error when it shows 0.0.0.0
That's likely because of the double NAT (router LAN connected to Eero WAN).
Anyway, I don't recommend port forwarding or allowing UPNP to do it either.

This cascading of wireless AP's, routers, etc. are likely going to be a source of problems for you from this point forward...is there no way to hard-wire some of your network?

Last edited:

emailrob

n3wb
Reaction score
ah got it thanks. I'll likely remove the other UniFi stuff apart from the switch itself, hopefully that will fix it.