POE Cameras connected by Powerline

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Has anyone here use cameras connected by powerline adapters? I have a situation at my parents house where I want to mount cameras attached to the barn. It is a bit of a run and could be done with Ethernet and a range extender but due to the distance, running another 110 volt cable from the house to the barn may be better.

The barn is within a 100 feet of the house; even with the twists and turns of running cable from the office to the barn would be under 300 feet. From there I could run a POE switch, any distance inside the barn is less than 300 feet even though is is a very large colonial barn.

I am only considering possibilities at this point but wanted to ask the more experienced people here if they have any experience with this type of connection.

Larebear

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I've had good luck with Powerline adapters. I used PLA's for a client a couple years ago. His camera is mounted on his garage and his router is approx 100' away in the basement of his house. He's had no problems with the camera losing connection or any interference. I used TP-Link PLA's.

A few days ago I used PLA's at my sisters house. I set up a PoE camera for the outside of her garage using a PLA and then connected another one to her router. No problems whatsoever. Camera is working great.

I've also used them in my own house. I used PLA's for a couple of years on my home security system. Again, no problems. I did eventually hard wire most of my cameras along with the security system with cat6 cable.

Powerline adapters should work fine as long as they're on the same electrical circuits (breaker panel).

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Has anyone here use cameras connected by powerline adapters? I have a situation at my parents house where I want to mount cameras attached to the barn. It is a bit of a run and could be done with Ethernet and a range extender but due to the distance, running another 110 volt cable from the house to the barn may be better.

The barn is within a 100 feet of the house; even with the twists and turns of running cable from the office to the barn would be under 300 feet. From there I could run a POE switch, any distance inside the barn is less than 300 feet even though is is a very large colonial barn.

I am only considering possibilities at this point but wanted to ask the more experienced people here if they have any experience with this type of connection.
You are WAY better off running ethernet instead of 110 power with powerline...you might want to run both if you have the ground dug up...if you need a total distance of greater than 328f then you can add the poe switch in the barn using the 110 line for power only...if you run both make sure to separate the power cables and ethernet...might want to use shielded cable as well.

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thank you both very much for your observations. Although both are feasible, I am more comfortable with Ethernet. I wanted to see if there was an overwhelming reason to go with powerline adapters. It seems that there isn't. I really appreciate your advice.

Reaction score
I've been using a pair of Netgear Powerline 1200 PLC adapters between the house and my garage to serve 6 cameras

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00S6DBGJM?ref_=cm_cr-mr-title

It works reasonably well. Best case bandwidth is 1200Mbps, but in reality it's quite a bit less depending on how long your romex and wiring situation is.

My situation is about 100ft of romex through a breaker panel to another 30ft of romex to my switch; I'm pushing about 240-270Mbps according to Netgear's bandwidth tool.

It's not a good as a direct-wired 1GE ethernet link, but it was plug-and-play and good enough to delay me from needing to pull a separate ethernet drop out to the
garage

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

themow

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I've too had great results with pla from various manufacturers. It's a simple solution.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
I have a 500 Mbps ZyXEL powerline kit in my house which typically performs at about 10% of the advertised spec.

These numbers are actually about twice as high a I usually see. Regardless, it has always been reliable and more than fast enough for the one camera I feed with powerline.

Larebear

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

PRC_Save_Me

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
It depends on your home's wiring, and the distances of romex it's traveling. These AV2 1200 Mbps adapters claim to be able to communicate over a linear distance of 980 feet of electrical line. It's also important to dedicate the entire outlet/circuit for these adapters for the best results, at least in my experience. Don't plug it into a power strip that does various EMI/RFI noise filtering. Don't plug it into a GFCI outlet. Don't plug in a AC to DC power supply that are often cheaply made and introduce a lot of noise into the electrical line in the same wall outlet. These adapters seem to be hit or less for many folks, but I think they often ignore these guidelines. Power-line communications is more popular in places like the UK and Europe, where there are ISPs that provide broadband over power lines with thousands of subscribers.

I use powerline adapters for three cameras (one powerline adapter connected to a PoE switch). The adapter and switch is located in my garage and has to travel to router that is in the second floor of a far end bedroom on the other side of a 2500 sq. ft house . They have been working without a hitch for months now. I have the TRENDnet Power Line 1200 AV2 Adapters (which use the exact same Qualcomm Atheros chipset as the Netgear 1200 Mbps AV2 adapters member unbahlievable mentioned using, but have a 3-year warranty instead of one-year). Check out a detailed review of these adapaters here: .The experts were able to achieve 0.5 Gbps speeds in real world conditions. Amazon reviewers have reported similar speeds.

I get the full 100Mbps downstream and 10 Mbps upstream speeds my ISP provides with these adapters. I have 4 of these adapters around the house for various devices that use ethernet and never experience disconnects or packet loss or anything like that. Ping latency is only handful milliseconds greater than being hardwired.

I'd suggest testing out the 1200 Mbps class AV2 adapter, as they're the most modern iteration of the consumer powerline networking. The newer chipsets are able to quickly adapt to electrical line noise changes which is what primarily affects throughput for many people.

For 60 dollars a pair, it's an order of magnitude cheaper and easier than getting ethernet wired. But if you're wiring to a barn and have the time, it's probably better to just go with ethernet.

Last edited by a moderator: