PoE Doorbell?!

D0bby

n3wb
Reaction score
Hey

im looking for a long time for a doorbell with PoE.

Right now we are using a BUS system ( 2 wire ) but over a LAN cable.

The only system I found was Doorbird - but teh camera quality is so bad for 600€.

Greetings

Edit:
btw what i need ;) :

PoE
Blue Iris ( RTSP )
Home Assistant or some kind of smart tech (mqtt / etc.)
camera

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Have a look at this one. Not perfect, but at least it has PoE.

The Automation Guy

Known around here
Reaction score
To be honest, there isn't a great doorbell option in POE or regular doorbell wiring configurations. They all use pretty low resolution chips with pretty bad quality lenses. So don't get too wrapped up in finding the "perfect" option because it simply doesn't exist yet.

That's why most of us supplement our doorbell camera with a decent CCTV camera option nearby that covers that same general area.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Reaction score
Have a look at this one. Not perfect, but at least it has PoE.

I have been running the vto2301r that I purchased from @EMPIRETECANDY for a couple of weeks now.

I have it working with Blue Iris and the DMSS app.

I have it sitting behind my router, natted, but it still has outgoing internet access. My other cameras are on a VLAN with no access to the internet.

I haven't had time to fool with it to know if the whole SIP thing will still work if I totally remove all internet access.

As configured it records to Blue Iris when motion is detected and will send me a push notification via Blue Iris.

If someone pushes the button I am alerted via the DMSS app and I can see the video before deciding to answer.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I have been running the vto2301r that I purchased from @EMPIRETECANDY for a couple of weeks now.

I have it working with Blue Iris and the DMSS app.

I have it sitting behind my router, natted, but it still has outgoing internet access. My other cameras are on a VLAN with no access to the internet.

I haven't had time to fool with it to know if the whole SIP thing will still work if I totally remove all internet access.

As configured it records to Blue Iris when motion is detected and will send me a push notification via Blue Iris.

If someone pushes the button I am alerted via the DMSS app and I can see the video before deciding to answer.
The SIP will not work without internet access - well it works if you call the doorbell, but not the other way if the doorbell is pushed to call you.

I am trying to figure out how to get it into BI and have the DMSS app work while maintaining security.

Are you running a true VLAN? I think that is the only way possible.

Reaction score
This is what I have currently.

My router has ether 2, 3, and 5 configured as a bridge.

Ether5 (blue connections) from the MikroTik connects to the WAN side of a Google Mesh router (which I am working on replacing) that has internet access. The other side of the Google Mesh router connects to a switch that also is connected to the Villa Station currently.

I have a 10.10.10.0/24 bound to ether4 (red connections) which is not part of the bridge and connected to a separate switch with no internet access.

My BI server sits between the two networks and is only accessible externally through Wireguard.

I don't have any issues getting the Villa Station to work with BI if I place it on the 10.10.10.x network just getting SIP working.

I am still learning the MikroTik but I am guessing I would have to setup some rules to allow whatever is required for the Villa Station to access SIP.

The Villa Station has SIP Server enabled but the IP is private and not part of any range I am using so there must be something going on with a cloud service that is handling SIP.

1653872279272.png

Reaction score
To be honest, there isn't a great doorbell option in POE or regular doorbell wiring configurations. They all use pretty low resolution chips with pretty bad quality lenses. So don't get too wrapped up in finding the "perfect" option because it simply doesn't exist yet.
That's why most of us supplement our doorbell camera with a decent CCTV camera option nearby that covers that same general area.
Without connectivity to the internet, the SIP will not function; nevertheless, it will operate if you call the doorbell, but it will not function in the opposite direction if the doorbell is pressed to call you.