PoE Extender - 2 Cameras on 1 Cable

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I wouldn't think so. No different than hooking another switch off one of the ports of the VLAN switch.

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
Thanks, actually I have one "dumb" TP-Link switch connected to a Managed TP-Link switch (VLAN capable) which I want to eventually connect to my UniFi network (to one of the ports on my 8-Port PoE 130 Ubiquiti Switch; this is in front of all other switches on the network), would I have any trouble having the VLAN work if I try to connect IP devices to the "dumb" TP-Link switch

I wouldn't think so. No different than hooking another switch off one of the ports of the VLAN switch.

Billyjack5

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Looking at this thread again and was curious if anyone has used the Lortya/Linovision POE extender with cameras that use higher wattage? I'm going to replace my HFW5241E-Z12E for LPR duties with Andy's version of the TC237-PW6M-IRLZF1050-B . The specs for the Z12E says it uses less than 10.3 watts while the 237 less than 20 watts, and both cameras are 802.3af. I'd like to keep the Z12E as an overview camera and was wondering if the Lortya/Linovision POE extender--assuming I powered it with its own 60w watt injector, would do the trick. As an aside, Dahua's website shows the Z12E available in black now, which I hadn't seen before.

DLONG2

Known around here
Reaction score
Looking at this thread again and was curious if anyone has used the Lortya/Linovision POE extender with cameras that use higher wattage? I'm going to replace my HFW5241E-Z12E for LPR duties with Andy's version of the TC237-PW6M-IRLZF1050-B . The specs for the Z12E says it uses less than 10.3 watts while the 237 less than 20 watts, and both cameras are 802.3af. I'd like to keep the Z12E as an overview camera and was wondering if the Lortya/Linovision POE extender--assuming I powered it with its own 60w watt injector, would do the trick. As an aside, Dahua's website shows the Z12E available in black now, which I hadn't seen before.
With my same PoE extender, it is now (before dawn) drawing 5.7W, using the IPC-HFW5231EZ5 and a 4MP Amcrest.

Billyjack5

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
With my same PoE extender, it is now (before dawn) drawing 5.7W, using the IPC-HFW5231EZ5 and a 4MP Amcrest.
I guess what I'm wondering is whether a device that pulls, say, 18 watts, will be operational using the splitter when paired with another cam that pulls less than 10 watts. You mentioned the two cams that you have needed a 60 watt power source. I'm wondering whether the power being split by the extender is the full 60 watts from the injector, a poe+ rated 30 watts, or something less.

With the power required by the extender, I'm wondering if, in your case, you're working with a maximum of 30 watts per the poe+ maximum. Even with the 5.7w used by the extender, you'd have plenty left to power the two cams you're running. I won't be able to test it for a couple more days, but I'm wondering if the maximum power that the extender will draw--regarding of the wattage of the injector--is 30 watts. Have you bench tested a PTZ with a regular cam and the extender?

user8963

Known around here
Reaction score
with normal cameras (which uses poe AF mode) you can easy connect 2 cameras to one cable without any extender

Just splice the cable ... cameras only need 10/100mbit , so only 2 pairs per cam are used/needed. just connect 2 jacks to the cable with only pin 1,2,3,6

ptz need extender, because they need more power and mostly uses passive poe or AT mode

DLONG2

Known around here
Reaction score
I guess what I'm wondering is whether a device that pulls, say, 18 watts, will be operational using the splitter when paired with another cam that pulls less than 10 watts. You mentioned the two cams that you have needed a 60 watt power source. I'm wondering whether the power being split by the extender is the full 60 watts from the injector, a poe+ rated 30 watts, or something less.

With the power required by the extender, I'm wondering if, in your case, you're working with a maximum of 30 watts per the poe+ maximum. Even with the 5.7w used by the extender, you'd have plenty left to power the two cams you're running. I won't be able to test it for a couple more days, but I'm wondering if the maximum power that the extender will draw--regarding of the wattage of the injector--is 30 watts. Have you bench tested a PTZ with a regular cam and the extender?
I have a 16 port 150W PoE managed switch. The 5.7W is the value seen on the one switch port itself, so both cameras and the splitter together are only drawing that amount.

Correction: I was looking at the wrong switch port. Here's a list of the PoE power on each port.

12.59W: PTZ SD49225T-HN
3.63W: LPR HFW5241E-Z12E
4.68W: Dual Cam Starlight IPC-HDBW4231F-E2-M
9.14W: IPC-HFW5231EZ5 and Amcrest 4IP3M-954EW on the PoE splitter

Last edited:

DLONG2

Known around here
Reaction score
The specs on my own Z12 say power consumption is 3.2W, and 10.3W with IR on. In my daytime configuration, I have the illuminator set to "ZoomPri" at 100%, and am consuming only 3.63W. The PoE splitter says the max. is 8W per device, while the splitter itself consumes <=3W. Hope this helps.

icpilot

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
You are slightly exceeding the threshold of what the specs say the PFT1300 will support. In fact, the datasheet for the Dahua/Loryta model (PDF attached) doesn't explicitly state this, but the Amazon ad for the Linovision version () does. Specifically, it says:

"POE Output: 2*10/100 Base-T RJ45 ports; CAMERA Port: compliant to IEEE802.3af POE standard, max 8W power consumption; OUT Port: compliant to IEEE802.3af/at POE+ standard, max 16W power consumption"

If you are able to connect a PTZ drawing more than 16w, please report back as I had been planning to use this topology to have a PTZ and an Overview from a single cable, but am now looking at having to run a new cable.

Attachments

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

icpilot

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
The specs on my own Z12 say power consumption is 3.2W, and 10.3W with IR on. In my daytime configuration, I have the illuminator set to "ZoomPri" at 100%, and am consuming only 3.63W. The PoE splitter says the max. is 8W per device, while the splitter itself consumes <=3W. Hope this helps.
I believe that 8w max output is for the Camera port. The port described as "Out" should be able to deliver 16w max. Still, the combination of the 2 ports is only 24w, plus the 3w consumed by the splitter, it means more than half of the power supplied by the PFT1200 is wasted for this use case.

Billyjack5

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
You are slightly exceeding the threshold of what the specs say the PFT1300 will support. In fact, the datasheet for the Dahua/Loryta model (PDF attached) doesn't explicitly state this, but the Amazon ad for the Linovision version () does. Specifically, it says:

"POE Output: 2*10/100 Base-T RJ45 ports; CAMERA Port: compliant to IEEE802.3af POE standard, max 8W power consumption; OUT Port: compliant to IEEE802.3af/at POE+ standard, max 16W power consumption"

If you are able to connect a PTZ drawing more than 16w, please report back as I had been planning to use this topology to have a PTZ and an Overview from a single cable, but am now looking at having to run a new cable.
Yeah, I had a numbnuts moment when I read the original post and saw that the specs were there, but was intrigued when wittaj reported his neighbor using a PTZ with it. I'm looking use it not with a ptz, but with the 237 traffic cam that apparently pulls under 20 watts with the IR on. It has on-camera processing so I assume it uses more juice in any event. If the specs for the Linovision extender are right, the extender just puls the 802af standard wattage from the injector. I'm wondering if there is an extender on the market is able to pull more and natively power at least one POE+ device?

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.