POE for 150ft cable

bdud

n3wb
Reaction score
I have installed a HIKVISION DS-2CD2342WD-I camera http://overseas.hikvision.com/en/Products_accessries_159_i5636.html on a tree where I used to have a Logitech Alert 700e outdoor camera. I am using the Logitech flat ethernet cables with a connector that is well sealed. I tested the camera first in the house and it worked well when connected to a TP Link TL-PoE150S injector http://www.amazon.com/TP-LINK-Gigabit-Injector-Adapter-TL-PoE150S/dp/B001PS9E5I/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1463710409&sr=8-2&keywords=poe++injector. With the camera on the tree and connected to the 150ft cable, the camera would not come online with the TP Link. You could sometimes ping it but response was slow and only maybe 3 pings in a row, ~97% data loss. I bought the camera inside and connected to ~40ft of cable and it was ok. I then connected the camera to my old Logitech PoE / Powerline power supply and the camera worked and is working now connected to the 150ft cable. This is I believe this is the power supply http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Logitech-Alert-LA700i-LA700i-A-Power-Supply-Logitech-Alert-700i-700n-750n-/112012666640?_trksid=p2141725.m3641.l6368 , I would rather not use the old Logitech power supply as these cameras are now failing quite regularly.

Thinking the TP Link PoE injector I bought was not suppling the camera with enough power, I then bought a iCreatin Wall Plug PoE injector http://www.amazon.com/iCreatin-Injector-Supply-802-3af-Polycom/dp/B00NRGJCM6?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=od_aui_detailpages00
as the reports seemed to suggest a more powerful output. With the iCreatin injector connected to the camera on the end of the 150ft cable, I would get a picture for a few seconds, motion would be then get jumpy and then I would lose the picture with a message like instability reloading.. I connected the Logitech Alert power supply and the camera is now working again.

Is there a PoE injector that you think that will work in my situation?
The 150ft enters the house next to my electrical / network panel and I would rather not use the Logitech Powerline power supply.

Suggestions?
Thank you.

As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
throw away your flat ethernet cables, you cannot run PoE over 32awg stranded cabling.. just a few days ago a guy with the same cable was struggling with a mere 50ft run.

PoE is rated to 300ft, if you use real cables of at least 24awg with solid copper instead of strands.

according to: http://www.powerstream.com/Wire_Size.htm

150ft of 30awg cable sending 48vdc @ 1A in one end is going to see a mere 16vdc at the other end.. up it to an amp and a half, and you'll see merely half a volt.

Last edited by a moderator:

bdud

n3wb
Reaction score
yep I saw that thread. I would tend to agree if those "bricks" of the Logitech Powerline adapters had not actually worked.
The ethernet cable is run in with my Fios and coaxial cable under my driveway to a junction box. I buried pvc pipe from the junction box to & up the tree.
I would rather not touch that.
Is there not a PoE injector that will work with my existing scenario?

Securame

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Your problem is for sure the cable. If it works with that Logitech Powerline, well, then use it. If you want to NOT have problems in the future, you should run the correct cable.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
physics says you cannot get nearly enough power 150ft over that small of a cable.. if you do its going to burn up.. see my addendum in my original reply.

replace the cable or your wasting your time and money.

bdud

n3wb
Reaction score
ok thank you. I will check what cable I have, not sure if I have 150ft. I will make sure that works before I try to run it.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
ok thank you. I will check what cable I have, not sure if I have 150ft. I will make sure that works before I try to run it.
just buy bulk cable and terminate yourself.

Trax95008

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
i see multiple issues with your existing installation. Your also running in pipe under ground. You need a cable that is rated for underground. If your going to redo it, do it right this time. Get yourself a "flooded" cable. It has a heavy jacket, and is flooded with silicone inside. If you just run a standard indoor cable, it won't last more than a couple years

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I missed that it was on a tree... you'll also want surge protection.

bdud

n3wb
Reaction score
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Trax95008

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The pvc conduit you mentioned goes under your driveway right? Therefore, the cable is considered under ground. It doesn't matter that it is inside a pipe. That pipe will fill with water eventually. All underground pipe does. I know it's PVC, and the joints are glued, but it will fill with water eventually. It happens from heat cycles throughout the day. The pipe "breathes" and the moisture condenses and collects overtime. You made the right choice getting waterproof cable. It buggs me when people cut corners and don't do things correctly just for a small amount of savings or effort

CamFan

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hmm. I would have thought properly glued PVC conduit would stay dry underground. We don't get much humidity out here in the desert. I just ordered 2 spools of cat6 from monoprice for a underground run. Should I rethink my choice?

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
all underground conduit will fill with water.. plan accordingly.

at least you wont have to dig it all back up when the cable fails.. but its always best do it right the first time.

bdud

n3wb
Reaction score
After a nice day helping a friend launch his boat in Boston harbor, my afternoon went a bit downhill.
The cable was delivered today so I tested the camera connected to the new 150ft cable with the TP-Link PoE.
The cable was still coiled up and the picture seemed a bit jerky. I was getting a ping delay of ~25ms.
Ran the cable which was no walk in the park and the connected up the camera and no picture.
What the xxxxxxxx..
I connected up the iCreatin PoE instead and the camera came to life, 5ms ping delay, much better.

So with my super dooper 23awg cat6 cable even though it was less than half the stated max distance, the TP-Link did not work. Very disappointed.

CamFan

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I don't think it is power related, the calcs show a fraction of a watt drop on that run (http://beyond-wifi.com/poe/poe-calc.html)

The only difference between the TP-Link (GigE) and the iCreatin (10/100).

The camera is 10/100. Try to force your upstream connection to be 10/100.

bdud

n3wb
Reaction score
The Netgear switch both PoE's were connected to, is just 10/100.
Maybe the Hikvision is faulty, drawing too much power?
Is there a setting I set or is set, I do have night vision on?

bdud

n3wb
Reaction score
I used to have a Logitech Alert camera on the tree with a 150ft flat Logitech cable using the Logitech Alert power supply and that was not a problem. The camera failed and I did not want to buy an "old" Logitech Alert replacement, this is how my 'journey' began.
I did try the HikVis camera in the house with a ~10ft cable and the TP-Link, that was ok.
The HikVis camera with the Logitech 150ft flat cable and Logitech Alert power supply (which is a PoE and powerline adapter) also worked well.