POE help

shaggymc

n3wb
Reaction score
I have some questions about the TP Link 1008 switch. Does anyone know how far it will reach under normal conditions?

Reason I ask is that I have a turret camera from LTS hooked to the switch that doesn't seem to respond. The POE light on the switch lights up but the data light stays dark. The cat5e cable runs probably 60-70 feet from the switch. I would think POE would reach that far. The cat5e is 24AWG unshielded pure copper and is running through my attic.

I have two other cameras, a cube and a dome, that work just fine with the same cable and are tied into the same switch. The longest run of the two is about 30 feet. I read, on Amazon I believe, that if you connect more than two devices that the third might suffer power-wise depending on how much is being used by the other two.

The camera works fine when I plug it in using a 6' cable. The next step is re-running the cable but wanted to see if its worth it before doing so. I almost contemplated putting an injector inline but not sure if that would harm the camera downstream or not.

Thanks.

pozzello

Known around here
Reaction score
since you're getting a poe light, but no link, (and another cable works fine)
you probably just have an improperly terminated plug.
try re-crimping new rj45 plugs on the ends of the existing cable, one at a time.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I have some questions about the TP Link 1008 switch. Does anyone know how far it will reach under normal conditions?

Reason I ask is that I have a turret camera from LTS hooked to the switch that doesn't seem to respond. The POE light on the switch lights up but the data light stays dark. The cat5e cable runs probably 60-70 feet from the switch. I would think POE would reach that far. The cat5e is 24AWG unshielded pure copper and is running through my attic.

I have two other cameras, a cube and a dome, that work just fine with the same cable and are tied into the same switch. The longest run of the two is about 30 feet. I read, on Amazon I believe, that if you connect more than two devices that the third might suffer power-wise depending on how much is being used by the other two.

The camera works fine when I plug it in using a 6' cable. The next step is re-running the cable but wanted to see if its worth it before doing so. I almost contemplated putting an injector inline but not sure if that would harm the camera downstream or not.

Thanks.
If you are referring to this switch then it can easily handle the load of 4 hikvision fixed cameras.
http://www.amazon.com/TP-LINK-TL-SF1008P-100Mbps-8-Port-802-3af/dp/B003CFATT2/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1456955286&sr=1-1&keywords=tplink+poe
The range should be at least 328f. First thing to check is your connections. Recrimp them. What is the EXACT cable you are using.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

digger11

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
these things are worth having simply cause they are so cheap and will test continuity quick and easy: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00OUFX38W?keywords=cable tester&qid=1456955557
I wholeheartedly agree. Best bang for the buck item that I've added to my tool kit in years. Pay attention to where the Amazon vendor ships from though... The really cheap price comes off of a slow boat from China. It was well worth paying the $9.99 price to get my free 2-day prime shipping.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

shaggymc

n3wb
Reaction score
I changed the connections and it works just fine. Thanks.

Sent from my XT1097 using Tapatalk