Poe in nvr vs Poe switch

batcave

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
So I’ve been asking a lot of dumb questions here lately. I’ve had cctv since 2005 but now find myself wanting to learn more.

I’ve read a couple posts where the person has a NVR with Poe but chose to use a Poe switch instead. Why would be the reason for that?

2nd question about Poe+. I assume some cameras like PTZ need more power to run than provided by regular Poe. So in this case they would have to run a Poe+ switch. Is that correct?

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
A separate PoE switch allows the NVR to be located in places other than where the network cables from the cameras terminate. Folks can have the NVR located in an office/living room without having multiple network cables running to it.

A separate PoE switch also allows for the PoE devices to be on the same subnet as the other devices. NVRs with PoE built-in almost always isolate the cameras on their own subnet, which can make directly accessing them (like from the web browser on your computer) more difficult. Lately, some recent NVR w/ PoE firmware updates do provide a link you can click on to directly access the cameras on their own subnet, so that's lessened this concern for some folks.

Most PoE switches support PoE+, but to your point, you do have to make sure your switch is capable of supporting the specific PoE standards that your PoE devices need.

batcave

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
When I moved to this house and installed system, I ran a 2” conduit from my basement to where the NVR is. Then ran 9 cables for cameras and 1 for my network. So what you are saying is, all camera cables could have terminated in basement via switch and I only need one network cable to nvr. Lol. Ya, I did it wrong for sure. Unless there is an advantage to having all cameras terminate in NVR.

it is, a pain in the ass to get 9 direct bury cat5e cables into nvr for sure. Cables are stiff.

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
I went with a separate switch to keep the investment in the nvr as low as possible. If I need to replace the switch or nvr (due to failure or upgrade), the cost and work will both be lower. I also chose to use a managed switch. I use few of the features, but they are darn handy for monitoring and troubleshooting. When I was building the system, there were abundant good deals on used small business switches, making my total cost a bit lower than for the same nvr with poe built in. It does take a little research to make a good choice for which switch.