POE IP Camera on Google Home Google Nest Max etc.

joneda1

n3wb
Reaction score
I am looking to put a Google Nest Max or similar device on the kitchen bench where it will be easily viewed to monitor camera placed in parts of our property which are not easily seen from the kitchen area. My preference is to use POE IP cameras (Milesight, HikVision, etc. I'm not tied to any one brand) and I am quite capable of putting the required wiring in place to do this. I have a Swann NVR8580 with up to 8 cameras at the moment and if I can get this working reliably then it might do the job but so far actually getting a camera stream onto a display is proving to be problematic. I need a camera to be either permanently displayed or just one voice command away from streaming. So key to my requirements:

- Display on Google Nest Max or similar device. I'm also open to something which can display up to maybe 4 cameras on a TV or monitor wall mounted in the kitchen, either a solid or WiFi connection.
- POE IP cameras if possible.
- Preferably no NVR, I'd like to have just the cameras but I realise this may be a problem.
- If not cameras alone then something like a Raspberry Pi or small PC based NVR would be preferable.
- No subscription services, no need to store images (but storage would be nice, even if short term or event based).
- Happy to be completely separate from the Swann NVR8580.
- At least 5MP or 4K cameras would be preferred, good low light performance would also be an advantage.

If anyone can point me in the right direction it would be much appreciated.

Last edited:

xaudiblex

n3wb
Reaction score
I was in a similar situation. I wanted a POE camera with RTSP compatibility that also worked with my Google Home devices. Devices that meet all of these requirements are rare.

I started by purchasing a Reolink RLC-420-5MP ($40ish on sale @ Amazon) for outside my garage. I know Reolink is not popular on this forum. However, this camera has worked well enough for my purposes (except for the occasional ghosting issues during high heat). After that, I purchased the Reolink E1 Pro (needed indoor wireless camera). Both of these cameras support RTSP and Google Home. The RTSP feature allows me to use it with Synology Surveillance Station or Tinycam Monitor Pro. Hope this helps.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

joneda1

n3wb
Reaction score
I was in a similar situation. I wanted a POE camera with RTSP compatibility that also worked with my Google Home devices. Devices that meet all of these requirements are rare.

I started by purchasing a Reolink RLC-420-5MP ($40ish on sale @ Amazon) for outside my garage. I know Reolink is not popular on this forum. However, this camera has worked well enough for my purposes (except for the occasional ghosting issues during high heat). After that, I purchased the Reolink E1 Pro (needed indoor wireless camera). Both of these cameras support RTSP and Google Home. The RTSP feature allows me to use it with Synology Surveillance Station or Tinycam Monitor Pro. Hope this helps.
Thanks, that one looks promising and cheap too? Do you happen to know the POE spec as I will need to purchase an adapter or a small POE switch?

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

xaudiblex

n3wb
Reaction score
Off the top of my head, I couldn't tell you. I am currently using a Netgear FS116P and it's powering 6 POE cameras fine (mixed in with amcrest Poe cameras I got 3 years ago).

I also have one plugged into a iCreatin Wall Plug POE Injector With 48v Power Supply 802.3af I picked up from Amazon. Given Amazon's good return policy, I figured it wouldn't hurt to give either products a shot.

I want to note there is a few seconds of delay when using the reolink camera with my google home.