POE IR Illuminator for Dahua 5321 series?

Frankenscript

Known around here
Reaction score
Hi folks,

Looking to add some IR to my front lawn/mailbox areas, and was looking over IR illuminators on Amazon. Seems there are different wavelength versions... looking for a good model that will be compatible with my Dahua 5321R-Z cams and be powered by POE... no convenient power plugs where this will be located, and want the power to be on the same UPS backup as the rest of my cam equipment.

Thanks in advance!

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hi folks,

Looking to add some IR to my front lawn/mailbox areas, and was looking over IR illuminators on Amazon. Seems there are different wavelength versions... looking for a good model that will be compatible with my Dahua 5321R-Z cams and be powered by POE... no convenient power plugs where this will be located, and want the power to be on the same UPS backup as the rest of my cam equipment.

Thanks in advance!
You want 850nm for the Dahua cams. I have this little guy, and it does pretty good for 4 watts, and it's small.
https://www.amazon.com/CMVision-WideAngle-100feet-ourdoor-Illuminator/dp/B01MTXSJP9/ref=sr_1_20?crid=1RSHHUA8E1PHA&keywords=ir+illuminator&qid=1567022718&s=electronics&sprefix=ir,electronics,175&sr=1-20

I also have this Tendalux that works well.
https://www.amazon.com/Tendelux-Illuminator-BI8-Powerful-Infrared/dp/B0771GQMPT/ref=sr_1_7?crid=1RSHHUA8E1PHA&keywords=ir+illuminator&qid=1567022718&s=electronics&sprefix=ir,electronics,175&sr=1-7

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Frankenscript

Known around here
Reaction score
Thanks. On first look neither of these are PoE... Are PoE illuminators not a thing? I want to feed them from my powered switch so that they will share draw from my big UPS.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

jd415

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I think they sell adapters from POE to DC or AC or whatever its called I'm not an electrician.

Some of the good IR illuminators you need more power and POE is not enough.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks. On first look neither of these are PoE... Are PoE illuminators not a thing? I want to feed them from my powered switch so that they will share draw from my big UPS.

Sorry, missed that requirement. There are some that are POE ready.
Also this way.
You can use a POE splitter to power both the camera and the IR light.
You would no longer be powering the cam via POE, the splitter doesn't pass the POE.
So you would also need this: https://www.amazon.com/SIM-NAT-Splitter-Adapter-Security/dp/B01GPRLQCC/ref=sr_1_7?crid=1VJOG51W45AGK&keywords=12v+y+splitter&qid=1567025700&s=gateway&sprefix=12v+y,aps,177&sr=8-7
Just be careful of the total power draw from the splitter.
https://www.amazon.com/ethernet-Splitter-Compliant-Surveillance-ipolex/dp/B078LYW6D7/ref=sxin_3_ac_d_rm?ac_md=0-0-cG9lIHNwbGl0dGVy-ac_d_rm&crid=2V9DL12ZIAAUW&keywords=poe+splitter&pd_rd_i=B078LYW6D7&pd_rd_r=9b988e63-31e9-48dc-ab7c-dff79b9be949&pd_rd_w=N8XGk&pd_rd_wg=kxb0G&pf_rd_p=d29bc9bc-49e2-46b8-bc05-387917c341ec&pf_rd_r=163A116YHE31XY5ASFE8&qid=1567025556&s=gateway&sprefix=poe+,aps,198

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
They all have center hotspots, some more than others. I get more even coverage using 2x 4-watters with distributed hotspots, rather than a single 8-watter. What I don't understand with these low-cost illuminators, is that they aim their multiple LEDs in exactly the same direction. If they'd only curve the LED backplane a little, the coverage would be more even.

Frankenscript

Known around here
Reaction score
So, after much review it seems like my plan to put the illuminator on POE might be more trouble than it's worth. Certainly doable, just maybe not the best solution given that my house has good power and only loses power a couple hours per year, max, typically.

So if I remove the POE requirement, what about something like this?

https://www.amazon.com/CMVision-IR130-198-Outdoor-300-400ft-Illuminator/dp/B004F9LF7E/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=IR+illuminator+POE&qid=1567034309&s=gateway&sr=8-3

The area I want to illuminate is probably 50-60 feet away but I want plenty of light (night time ID of people near my mailbox).

Would this one, that seems to put out a lot more IR, be noticeably better than either of the two mentioned before? Cost difference on this scale is not a factor.

Frankenscript

Known around here
Reaction score
Based on it having the proper wavelength of light, I purchased the one I linked, along with an extension cable for the power. The IR turns off during daytime.

I will post some before/after nighttime views once I get I installed. Should be here tomorrow and I can play with it over the weekend.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
They all have center hotspots, some more than others. I get more even coverage using 2x 4-watters with distributed hotspots, rather than a single 8-watter. What I don't understand with these low-cost illuminators, is that they aim their multiple LEDs in exactly the same direction. If they'd only curve the LED backplane a little, the coverage would be more even.
I don't notice any hotspots with either that I linked. YMMV

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
I don't notice any hotspots with either that I linked. YMMV
I use the CM-40 as my go-to illuminator, and it does have a hotspot that's less pronounced than others I've looked at. The severity depends on the camera FOV, too. WIth the Tendelux 120 foot illuminator I definitely misspoke with a generalization because I've never used one. Darn hard to break that habit which works fine with real-time conversation, and spews misinformation in a forum environment.

Frankenscript

Known around here
Reaction score
So, I've got my CMVision IR-130 installed. It throws out a LOT of IR light. Trees and mail box have shadows and everything. I'm still not happy with my camera images and will make a separate thread for tweaking, but there's no question this thing puts out a lot of light. The IR illuminator is off to the right; primarily it is to light up the mailbox area which is the focus of a different camera than this one, but this wide view gives you an idea of the IR light output.

Front Yard 2019-9-10 01.47.01.724 AM.jpg

Frankenscript

Known around here
Reaction score
For comparison here is a picture the night before installation of the IR illuminator, when the light was just what the two nearby cameras put out, plus a post-light (visible light) out of view to the right.
Front Yard 2019-9-8 03.25.17.442 AM.jpg

ThomasPI

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Outstanding thanks. We are going with several of the same cams and area is really dark, going to watch your follow up adjustments.

Frankenscript

Known around here
Reaction score
Outstanding thanks. We are going with several of the same cams and area is really dark, going to watch your follow up adjustments.
I will post some pictures later. The problem is with 3D NR on motion is blurry. With it off, super grainy. Busy with life so slow posting. Stay tuned.

ThomasPI

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I will post some pictures later. The problem is with 3D NR on motion is blurry. With it off, super grainy. Busy with life so slow posting. Stay tuned.

Thanks, I can relate to busy. Trying to build a house and run my business at the same time almost makes me want to drink. However, I don’t drink so I’ll have to settle for sweet tea lol.

Frankenscript

Known around here
Reaction score
Here's one quick image from the mailbox camera, at full zoom, with 3D NR off. Not happy with how blurry / staticky it is. Maybe my expectations are unrealistic.

Mailbox 2019-9-11 06.52.28.497 AM.jpg