Poe - one camera low power

Joe jones

n3wb
Reaction score
Good morning,
Not sure if I can describe this properly. I have 6 ip cameras hooked into an nvr. All were functioning fine, then one of the cameras night vision quality deteriorated terribly. During the day, the image quality is fine but at night without ambient light it is almost completely dark. I replaced the camera with another from another location and the same problem. Checking further, I checked the power consumption on a setting on the NVR - most channels are getting 3.8 watts but the one location with the problem reads at 1.8? I never noticed it being that low before. Also the ir leds do glow red during the night hours? Any help would be appreiated?

Old Timer

Known around here
Reaction score
Sounds like a bad cable or bad connection on the RJ45.
If it's not that, it could be the port it's self.

Dingoboy

n3wb
Reaction score
Good morning,
Not sure if I can describe this properly. I have 6 ip cameras hooked into an nvr. All were functioning fine, then one of the cameras night vision quality deteriorated terribly. During the day, the image quality is fine but at night without ambient light it is almost completely dark. I replaced the camera with another from another location and the same problem. Checking further, I checked the power consumption on a setting on the NVR - most channels are getting 3.8 watts but the one location with the problem reads at 1.8? I never noticed it being that low before. Also the ir leds do glow red during the night hours? Any help would be appreiated?
The very first thing I would check is to compare the usage of your cameras against the available POE budget of the NVR. When your usage approaches the budget some NVR's prioritize POE based on port #.

If that checks out, the process of elimination that I would try would be to first swap a camera that you already know the usage of such as one of the ones known to draw 3.8w. If that camera now draws 1.8w you can eliminate the camera as the culprit. Then, re-terminate the ends, if no change, then it's not the plugs. I would then use a short patch cable to hook the original camera back up and check the result. If 1.8, then it's the port, if closer to 3.8 like the others (assuming all cameras on the NVR are the same) then hook up a POE tester to the cable run to test it (I would test each run to compare). If the results point to that specific run the real work begins because you will now need to check the cable run for that camera looking for damage to the cable, places of electrical interference, etc. and possibly re-run. Hopefully, if you get to that point, you have an 8 port NVR and just switch the camera to an open port.

Hope this helps, good luck!