PoE "oooppppssss"

awsum140

Known around here
Reaction score
I claim old age and being tired again, Fastb. You did mention that at the beginning of this thread and I forgot completely about it.

What splitter are you using? The ones I've been looking at are all bordering on 3.5" long. Add in the RJ and cable radius on both ends and 4" is kind of pushing it. I still have to determine if 12 volts will run the camera in the first place though. I should be pulling it down on Saturday, DHL is supposed to deliver the 5231R-Z on Friday.

awsum140

Known around here
Reaction score
I pulled the Grandstream off the mount today as part of my improvement project, had to wait for the snow to melt before dragging the ladder out. I powered it up at my desk with a 12V wall wart and got IR lights. I couldn't find it on the network, but that's probably a result of it defaulting to standard for Grandstream. I'll dig a little more tomorrow and may, actually, be able to get it going again with a 12V supply.

The_Penguin

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I left a Hikvision 2032 bullet outside and failed to weatherproof the network connector. The connector wound up in some very wet snow conditions and the camera died.
I replaced the corroded connector, but no go. Then powered it from 12v, and it works fine.
I did crack it open and visually inspected the circuit boards, and didn't find any blown fuses or obviously fried components.
Decided to just use it with 12v power, and it's been fine for years.

awsum140

Known around here
Reaction score
Well, the Grandstream bit the bullet. The IR comes on and off, but no network link, no ping and the GS discovery tool doesn't see it. It was running fine, after four years, plus, and I'm sorry to see it go. The connector was in a weatherproof box so that is not the problem, guess the transceiver, or more, got fried by that miss-wired cable. Some new 5231R-Zs are on my list now.