POE Over Cat5e to Switch Help.

dsabot

n3wb
Reaction score
I want to run two cameras about 200 feet from where the DVR will be located.

I only have one Cat5e cable run currently, and adding a second would be troublesome. There is also NO power at the place where the two cameras will be located.

Can I use a POE injector near the DVR, push power down the Cat5e into a switch? And if so, will that power, be enough to power the switch AND the cameras? Does even such a switch exist?

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
Another option is to use a passive splitter/combiner that lets you use the 2 unused pairs in the cat5e cable for a 2nd link, It requires using a 2nd port on your POE switch, and buying or making the splitter/combiner at each end of the 200 foot run. If your POE switch or injector isn't POE+ it's a stretch to power 2 cameras off of 1 port.

Kameraad

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I'm using the option @tigerwillow1 is talking about. I ordered these: Amazon.com : AimHD 4 Pair RJ45 Ethernet Cable Combiner/Splitter Sharing Kit, 2-in-1 (2 Cameras Over 1 Cable) Cat5e PoE Power/Data Transmission Adapter for 8 x Network Security Camera NVR Surveillance System : Camera & Photo

The best option is always to run a separate cable, but to be honest it's running almost 2 years now without any problems. I use them in combination with a netgear 8 port poe switch. You do need some sort of box at the camera end of your cable to keep them dry.

bradner

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I'm using the option @tigerwillow1 is talking about. I ordered these: Amazon.com : AimHD 4 Pair RJ45 Ethernet Cable Combiner/Splitter Sharing Kit, 2-in-1 (2 Cameras Over 1 Cable) Cat5e PoE Power/Data Transmission Adapter for 8 x Network Security Camera NVR Surveillance System : Camera & Photo

The best option is always to run a separate cable, but to be honest it's running almost 2 years now without any problems. I use them in combination with a netgear 8 port poe switch. You do need some sort of box at the camera end of your cable to keep them dry.

I use those same blue splitters for a couple cams and I also have a Ubiquiti Flex POE switch in a couple other spots too. I can run 4 cams off one line in - up to 46W total use - with the Flex switch.