POE Over Coax Converter issue....

rufunky

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Any one here experiance this issue when converting an analog system?

NVR: Dahua NVR521-16P-4KS2E

You can see in the video link below when the one bnc cable is plugged in, the power is cut from all other adapters. Also, when I plug in the cat6 from the last two adapters to ports 15 and 16 on the NVR I lose power to ALL adapters.

Not sure if its lack of power from the NVR onboard POE or some other issue...

One thing to note, not all of the cameras are being detected so there may be issues with some of the preexisting cabling.

PS. SORRY ABOUT THE ANNOYING CHOMPING OF GUM

VIDEO HERE

Teken

Known around here
Reaction score
The most reasonable answer is a lack of power from the NVR. Next on the list is a dead short in the wiring somewhere. On the extreme end is a bad module on hand. If you have a few spare POE Injectors connect them to see what happens. Dollars to donuts the system will come up but that doesn't address the fact the NVR is going to blow up given its at the limit of power output.

Once any or all of the cameras goes into IR you'll probably see a quick fart in a wind - death. Or a spectacular poof of smoke from the internal PSU with a modest bang. :lmao:

rufunky

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Thanks for the input Teken.
I went ahead and ordered an external POE switch to relieve the NVR of any power strugle.
Hopefuly that will be the only issue!

Teken

Known around here
Reaction score
Thanks for the input Teken. I went ahead and ordered an external POE switch to relieve the NVR of any power strugle. Hopefuly that will be the only issue!
Keep us in the loop as to success / failure with the new POE Switch. I hope you did some basic math as to how much power you need?? I didn't take the time to add up how many cameras were there but you need to add the maximum IR power consumption.

While including 2 watts per ePOE module . . .

So if you had 16 cameras with a IR max consumption of 8 watts that's 128 watts. 16 of those ePOE adapters will be another 32 watts for a grand total of 160 watts. Thus a small 150 watt POE switch is not even close to being enough for long term use.

Hence the lowest anyone should ever buy is a POE+ switch that offers no less than 250 watts. A more practical and long term investment is one that provides 500 watts. In 2022 it makes little sense buying a POE AF (15 watt max per spec) vs buying a POE+ (AT) switch that supports up to 30 watts.

You'll never have to worry about (IF) my system can support the latest and greatest energy consuming hog camera! :thumb:

rufunky

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I honestly didnt even concider the POE adapters power consumption could push it over the limit of the built in POE. Looking at the NVR specs, 15w per port/ 130w total rated power

CAMS 8w x 16 =128

ADAPTERS 2w x 32 =64w

192 w
130 w
---------------------------
-62 :oops:

Looks like I should be ok running 8 cams through the onboard POE and 8 on an external POE .

The onboard POE should be able to handle 8 ports using 12w each.

That leaves 3w buffer per port and 34w overhead in total rated power.

Teken

Known around here
Reaction score
I honestly didnt even concider the POE adapters power consumption could push it over the limit of the built in POE. Looking at the NVR specs, 15w per port/ 130w total rated power

CAMS 8w x 16 =128

ADAPTERS 2w x 32 =64w

192 w
130 w
---------------------------
-62 :oops:

Looks like I should be ok running 8 cams through the onboard POE and 8 on an external POE .

The onboard POE should be able to handle 8 ports using 12w each.

That leaves 3w buffer per port and 34w overhead in total rated power.
Just to be clear you reviewed the specifications for each of the cameras. Assuming they are not all the same model to confirm the maximum power consumption? :thumbdown:

rufunky

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Just to be clear you reviewed the specifications for each of the cameras. Assuming they are not all the same model to confirm the maximum power consumption? :thumbdown:
Yes, all cams are the same.
It says here 8w.
I'm asuming thats the max consumption including IR.

Last edited:

Teken

Known around here
Reaction score
Yes, all cams are the same.
It says here 8w.
I'm asuming thats the max consumption including IR.
I meant the specifications for the camera as to their maximum power consumption with IR enabled. As friendly reminder like all 120 / 240 VAC electrical wiring the rating is based on 80%. Whatever power supply you purchase must have enough headroom (extra) power for surge current / power. That extra headroom also plays an important role where the equipment does not meet the specifications of energy consumption due to component variability.

If something says it consumes a maximum of X watts add in an extra watt.

You never want a PSU to be running 100% because its like the candle that burns bright - but lasts a lot less. :rofl:

If the POE Switch you purchased is passive cooling (no internal fans) insure you have proper cooling and ventilation. If you're a keener you can buy any of the super cheap heat sinks and increase heat dispassion by affixing the same to the main board. Installing a small thermo controlled PWM fan is also easy to do and costs very little to extend the service life of the hardware.

kdreger

n3wb
Reaction score
Any one here experiance this issue when converting an analog system?

NVR: Dahua NVR521-16P-4KS2E

You can see in the video link below when the one bnc cable is plugged in, the power is cut from all other adapters. Also, when I plug in the cat6 from the last two adapters to ports 15 and 16 on the NVR I lose power to ALL adapters.

Not sure if its lack of power from the NVR onboard POE or some other issue...

One thing to note, not all of the cameras are being detected so there may be issues with some of the preexisting cabling.

PS. SORRY ABOUT THE ANNOYING CHOMPING OF GUM

VIDEO HERE
Can you please tell me the name of the device you are using to convert BNC->> Ethernet cat cable???? I have been looking for something like this for months.