POE Plug to avoid using with Huisun PTZ cams!

klasipca

Banned
Reaction score
I use these plugs for my wireless Hikvision cameras for over two years with no issues, but Huisun cams don't like it! These don't provide enough power for ptz controls and and could potentially burn Huisun POE board. This is strictly based on my experience, as well as another reported issue. If you are using this plugs successfully with v2 please do let us know.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ssayer

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
48v/.5a, so it should be fine at up to 12v/2a, unless I'm failing in my math, no?

klasipca

Banned
Reaction score
48v/.5a, so it should be fine at up to 12v/2a, unless I'm failing in my math, no?
Read the description and it says it's "Passive". I wonder if this has something to do with it.

Output: 48V 24W passive PoE Output

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
passive means it gives power regardless if the device asks for it or not.. passive PoE spans are not safe for non PoE devices.

active poe is safe for all devices because it looks for a very specific signal resistance before turning on power.. passive lacks this and just gives power constantly.

so no, it should have absolutely nothing to do with it.. it puts out 48v same as an active 802.11at port

I think your in denial about owning a junk PTZ, injectors should not be destroying your cameras.. replace that HuniSun just once your still stuck with a junk PTZ that cost you as much as a good reliable one would have from the beginning.

My big black face dahua uses a ton more power than the Hunisun, and it runs fine off those.. Ive used those before plenty of times without issue.

klasipca

Banned
Reaction score
passive means it gives power regardless if the device asks for it or not.. passive PoE spans are not safe for non PoE devices.

active poe is safe for all devices because it looks for a very specific signal resistance before turning on power.. passive lacks this and just gives power constantly.

so no, it should have absolutely nothing to do with it..

I think your in denial about owning a junk PTZ, injectors should not be destroying your cameras.. replace that HuniSun just once your still stuck with a junk PTZ that cost you as much as a good reliable one would have from the beginning.

My big black face dahua uses a ton more power than the Hunisun, and it runs fine off those..
and I think you are in denial owning highly overpriced duh...hua while these offer great value with minor issues along the way. Don't like, don't buy it, no one is forcing you to buy these "junk PTZ". I've bought 6 so far and minor issues doesn't stop me from using and enjoying them. Btw, somehow I doubt you run your black face which according to you uses "ton more power" when these plugs are not POE+.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
PoE = 14W
PoE+ = 25.5W

Black Face Dahua = 22W
This injector = 24W

Yeah it works bro.. I used one of these on day 1 as i did not have a PoE+ capable port at the time.. right now its on a midspan and not this injector, but it went 10 months or so w/out issue.

Your the one over hyping these POS's, when I was looking to buy one I found all sorts of BS you or other people posted.. Uses Hikvision API? dont you wish it did.. and now its the injectors fault that every other person ends up with no PoE... it wasent until I waded through all the crap that I found the honest problems with it, windows required, no api, no jpeg, no mjpeg, flakey poe, no dst, etc..

I think its a nice camera for the price, probably one of the best junk PTZ's out there, but its not a great camera.. and compared to anything quality it really shows its weaknesses.

klasipca

Banned
Reaction score
PoE = 14W
PoE+ = 25.5W

Black Face Dahua = 22W
This injector = 24W

Yeah it works bro..

Your the one over hyping these POS's, when I was looking to buy one I found all sorts of BS you or other people posted.. Uses Hikvision API? dont you wish it did.. and now its the injectors fault that every other person ends up with no PoE... it wasent until I waded through all the crap that I found the honest problems with it, no api, no jpeg, no mjpeg, flakey poe, no dst, etc..

I think its a nice camera for the price, probably one of the best junk PTZ's out there, but its not a great camera.. and compared to anything quality it really shows its weaknesses.
Lol... I am not claiming I am an expert in this POE requirement, but you are on the other hand making silly statements. Please read up again on this plug and POE+ requirements for your blackface. But to save you time this plug is not compatible with POE+ devices.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
you are correct, you sir are no expert.

Amazon Link you provided: Input 100-240VDC, Output: 48V 24W passive PoE Output
WikiPedia explaining PoE+ is 48V @ 25W: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Power_over_Ethernet#Standard_implementation

While yes, that injector you linked is not quite up to spec for POE+ (by a mere watt).. it is still outputting far more current than standard POE @ a mere 14W MAX.

My black face Dahua does not need the POE+ for the 25W Minimum, it needs the POE+ for because it needs more power than 14W that POE can give it... it happens to work with that injector, Ive done it.. you have not.. The injector in question will work fine for a vast majority of the POE+ devices out there, but it might not work with a few that demand the minimum power spec demands.. those are not typically IPCameras but Radios.

If you actually had some evidence this was the culprit I would not be here trying to challenge your theory.. but my theory is your cameras are Chinese junk, as evidenced by the fact the power circuitry burns up... like most Chinese junk will sooner or later.

When your hunisun accurately tracks objects out of frame via Home Automation for a few years without problem, then maby I'll think I paid a bit to much for my dahua.. but as it is now, its utterly incapable of any of that.

PS: I am an expert employed over a decade by a company that produces PoE switches, cameras, phones, and access points... and not just any company, the company that invented Power over Ethernet.

klasipca

Banned
Reaction score
you are correct, you sir are no expert.

Amazon Link you provided: Input 100-240VDC, Output: 48V 24W passive PoE Output
WikiPedia explaining PoE+ is 48V @ 25W: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Power_over_Ethernet#Standard_implementation

While yes, that injector you linked is not quite up to spec for POE+ (by a mere watt).. it is still outputting far more current than standard POE @ a mere 14W MAX.

My black face Dahua does not need the POE+ for the 25W Minimum, it needs the POE+ for because it needs more power than 14W that POE can give it... it happens to work with that injector, Ive done it.. you have not.. The injector in question will work fine for a vast majority of the POE+ devices out there, but it might not work with a few that demand the minimum power spec demands.. those are not typically IPCameras but Radios.

If you actually had some evidence this was the culprit I would not be here trying to challenge your theory.. but my theory is your cameras are Chinese junk, as evidenced by the fact the power circuitry burns up... like most Chinese junk will sooner or later.

When your hunisun accurately tracks objects out of frame via Home Automation for a few years without problem, then maby I'll think I paid a bit to much for my dahua.. but as it is now, its utterly incapable of any of that.

PS: I am an expert employed over a decade by a company that produces PoE switches, cameras, phones, and access points... and not just any company, the company that invented Power over Ethernet.
Based on the article you linked POE maximum is 15.40 Watt, so how on earth would you have ran your 22W camera with this plug successfully with IR, PTZ and heater (if it has one) is a going to be a mystery to me, but I guess if someone calls himself a Network Engineer on the internet then it must be true. Also, I think we already got your point that this is junk PTZ, so there is really no need to repeat this in every post.

Back to the issue at hand. I am just sharing my experience with these plugs and Huisun, so take it with a grain of salt if you want. Could be just coincidence that both POE failed because of cheap components, but all my Huisun cams (was 6) have been happily working with Hikvision NVR as well as POE+ switch for now half a year.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
this injector does not conform to the POE spec, it outputs up to 24W.. and last time I checked 24W > 15.4W.. thats how.

its practically PoE+ but falls short of spec by a mere Watt.. there is a gulf between POE's max of 15.4W and POE+'s Minimum Of 25.5W.

math is hard i know.

and its totally coincidence.. you have zero evidence this is the culprit, speculation dont cut it here if you are not upfront about it.

klasipca

Banned
Reaction score
this injector does not conform to the POE spec, it outputs up to 24W.. and last time I checked 24W > 15.4W.. thats how.

its practically PoE+ but falls short of spec by a mere Watt.. there is a gulf between POE's max of 15.4W and POE+'s Minimum Of 25.5W.

math is hard i know.

and its totally coincidence.. you have zero evidence this is the culprit, speculation dont cut it here if you are not upfront about it.
Then it comes down to how many amps the cam needs. Huisun doesn't work well with 12V 1amp power adapter (v1 and v2 didn't return to last position after power cycle) , but 12v and 5amp is ok. So if 24Watt and 1 amp is what this plug provides then that could be the issue?

Zero evidence?

First v1 - No picture (first page on the "2015..." post)
Second v1 - PTZ movement is not remember after power cycle
Thrid v2 - POE Failed within a day
Fourth v1 - POE Failed after a few months (not mine)

Also, since you mention these plugs don't conform to the POE spec this is probably another red flag and they should be avoided.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
24W/48V = .5A

but thats not 12v, so we have to convert the energy across voltages..

so 48V @ .5A = 24V @ 1A = 12V @ 2A

This outputs 2A of power @ 12V.. again 2A > 1A, should be fine.

yeah I seen the PoE failures, and not all were using that plug.. or at least it didnt seem like it.

PoE devices are supposed to be tolerant to a wide range of voltages and currents, its the nature of DC power over thin wire.. If you end up with a dead device and the PoE injector is still working and outputting proper voltages, the evidence is pointing the opposite direction.. away from the injector and right at the camera.

I would expect dead injectors along with dead cameras if they were the culprit.

klasipca

Banned
Reaction score
It was 12V & 5Amp adapter, not 12V & 2Amp adapter. In any case, we can agree these plugs a) don't conform POE spec b) exhibit issues with Huisun cameras

Reading user reviews on Amazon also confirms that not all equipment works well with them. My recommendation still stand to avoid them for Huisun cameras if you don't want a headache with potential failures.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
technically it actually conforms, the spec says a supply can give more power, but a device plugged into a PoE port can expect no more power than 14.5W.. so if you want a PoE compatible device it has to fit under that envelope otherwords its PoE+..

this would be non-conforming if it was advertised as a PoE+ and only put out 24w, since the spec specifically allows the providing side exceed output its conforming perfectly with PoE specifications.

according to the spec list provided by Hunisun the camera uses 1.5A @ 12v, (18W @ 12V/12W @ 48V) so it's all within range of compliance..

If a device is under powered or over powered and the voltage regulation circuitry takes a shit, its not the supply's fault.. the circuitry is crap.. this is a very simple electrical engineering that everyone seems to pull off just fine, well almost everyone.

klasipca

Banned
Reaction score
its not the supply's fault.. the circuitry is crap...
Definitely, because it's a high quality POE plug from China that built to higher degree of electrical engineering standards for $6. Like I said, Huisun works fine with certified POE/POE+ devices. When we see if anyone else's fail using something other then this plug then we can discuss this further.

klasipca

Banned
Reaction score
My 'junk ptz' still working great on the Neewer 1 amp injector.
http://www.amazon.com/NEEWER®-Injector-Power-Adapter-Camera/dp/B00FE7MRKK
Huisun "works" with these plugs. The question is how well these "work" and are they causing POEs to fail. Also, since there is just so many different makers of these they most likely have different internals and some work well then the others. I bought a dozen of these $5 each a few years ago and one of them failed to provide enough power to v1 to display picture, others plugs don't provide enough power for v1 to remember its last position after reboot.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.