POE powered switch

Ssayer

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Anyone ever tried one of these? I tried a cheap one and it lasted a whole 2 days (INSIDE testing it) before completely dying.

There's a more expensive one that will do 60w in and 30w max a channel that I might try next, but if others are having similar experiences I won't bother.

I've got a real good bullet cam coming (1/1.8") but... I'm asking because my wife really really really likes the PTZ (even if the night vision is somewhat sucky) at the street and I really don't want to have to run a second cable...

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Sparkey

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I picked up an Avaya 4850GTS-PWR+ 48 port POE+ layer 3 switch from eBay for $70. It does double duty, in addition to powering my 11 ip cams it also handles the rest of my network. POE is automatic. It has a really nice web interface and every option you could ever possibly use. It's an enterprise switch so it does make some noise but not as much as the Cisco.

Rooster

n3wb
Reaction score

Ssayer

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Do you really have power up there? I don't have power at the street so that one would be a no-go for me.

Rooster

n3wb
Reaction score
Yes, builder ran a cat 5 and an outdoor electrical outlet near the AC unit on the (adobe flat) roof. If you go with the POE extender make sure your POE switch pushes enough power for it.

Ssayer

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score