POE problem - please help me understand

mooch91

Young grasshopper
Feb 11, 2022
PA, US
Hi all,

Possibly a novice question, but I'm no networking expert.

My home network switches (TP-LINK TL-SG1008P) are a combination of POE (for cameras and WAPs) and non-POE.

All cameras work fine when connected to the POE ports of the switches.

For testing, I've been trying to connect a new camera (Annke FCD600) to one of the non-POE ports of the switch using a POE injector (TP-LINK TL-POE2412G). But it doesn't work. No link shown on the switch and the camera doesn't work. The same camera works just fine when connected to a POE port on the switch.

Why doesn't it work with the POE injector? I've confirmed with multiple cables, multiple injectors, etc.

Thanks!

It sounds obvious but we have seen it happen - are you sure the cables are in the correct port on the POE injector? Try swapping them and see if it works.

• Love
Reactions: SpacemanSpiff
It sounds obvious but we have seen it happen - are you sure the cables are in the correct port on the POE injector? Try swapping them and see if it works.
Yes - checked that multiple times.

I'm reading now about 24V passive POE injectors vs. 48V vs. 802.3af/at...possibly some of my issue (as I don't yet understand the differences!),

Hi all,

Possibly a novice question, but I'm no networking expert.

My home network switches (TP-LINK TL-SG1008P) are a combination of POE (for cameras and WAPs) and non-POE.

All cameras work fine when connected to the POE ports of the switches.

For testing, I've been trying to connect a new camera (Annke FCD600) to one of the non-POE ports of the switch using a POE injector (TP-LINK TL-POE2412G). But it doesn't work. No link shown on the switch and the camera doesn't work. The same camera works just fine when connected to a POE port on the switch.

Why doesn't it work with the POE injector? I've confirmed with multiple cables, multiple injectors, etc.

Thanks!

Probably because it’s a 24 VDC POE Injector. :facepalm:

.... using a POE injector (TP-LINK TL-POE2412G).

Why doesn't it work with the POE injector?
Because as others have stated, it's not a 802.3af-compliant injector, it's 24VDC passive. :rolleyes:

TL-POE2412G

Reactions: alastairstevenson
Reactions: bigredfish
The camera needs 12 volts at its power input plug, OR 802.3af/at POE at its network connector. 802.3af/at compliant POE is 48 volts, with no other option available.