POE problems and camera reboots (specially at night)

rotation

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
So, I again have POE problems.

Current network:
2x HIKVISION DS-2CD2142FWD-I
1x MC500L_AF brand unknown
1x IPD-E2A5L18 perhaps Boavision 20xzoom 5 MP camera

1x Mokerlink 8 port POE switch:

1x Netgear GS305P-100PES 5-port PoE

LAN cables are either installation LAN cables or CAT7 cables, 10 and 15 meters:

I had camera reboots on the Netgear switch. I used installation LAN cables for connection, self made.
Because of the POE troubles I had to add passive POE injectors: Cudy POE200 30W Gigabit PoE+ Injector

I now replaced the Netgear switch with the Mokerlink and the bought CAT7 cables 1x10m and 2x15m.
I again noticed camera reboots, especially in the night, but not in daytime.

Could you help me getting rid of the POE problems?
Why do these happen?

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Sounds like those cameras need PoE+, 30 watts per port. The link to your switch is not legible for me, running Brave for a browser (Chrome based).

ludshed

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Are they in fact rebooting or perhaps losing connection then resuming feed to recording unit?

bradner

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I had the same issues with a couple "split" runs. I was using a Ubiquiti Flex POE switch with limited POE output and at night when IR was being used on all cams I'd get dropouts. With Ubiquiti I can see the wattage pulls by each port and it was exactly what has been mentioned here - my switch was overloaded at night because of the extra wattage being demanded by my 4 cams. I shut one of the cam's IR off at night and everything was fine. I then set the IR on manual to a couple cams an night and only ran them at 40-50% to keep under my switch's threshold.

tech_junkie

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
So, I again have POE problems.

Could you help me getting rid of the POE problems?
Why do these happen?

Sure, first you get rid of your wire you are using. The proper wire to use is CAT5e 24-26 gauge wire. Current capacity of the wire gauge its using is battling you.
Some people use CAT6 but that is because of the core in them prevents kinks in the wire on complex wire pulls. But Cat5e 24 gauge riser in attics and cat5e direct burial for outside wire runs (even external runs on buildings)
Cameras are 10Mb connections.

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
Sure, first you get rid of your wire you are using. The proper wire to use is CAT5e 24-26 gauge wire. Current capacity of the wire gauge its using is battling you.
Some people use CAT6 but that is because of the core in them prevents kinks in the wire on complex wire pulls. But Cat5e 24 gauge riser in attics and cat5e direct burial for outside wire runs (even external runs on buildings)
Good spot, had to scan that page for the cable quite a few times to eventually find 32 gauge wire

tech_junkie

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I'm battling this as well. I'm going to run another cable to power the IR illuminator. The camera plus a 10W IR was apparently greater than the max port wattage.
You shouldn't breakout the poe cable for power on a camera run because it will always make the camera unstable.

small turret and dome cameras are around 12W. That means the port should guarantee to deliver 12 W so a 15W port would be the recommended minimum. This includes the standard industry de-rating of the circuit 80% for the appropriate power headroom. (wattage of device /0.8)

So if you paralleled a light off the blue and brown pair, 22W the port would have to be able to deliver 27.5W for a stable 22W connection.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
+1^^.
Not only is 32 gauge super skinny for POE those are basically just flat, stranded patch cables meant for indoor use. They possibly have a jacket that is not intended for use in walls, crawl spaces, attics, between floors, etc. In other words, not riser-rated, as CAT-5e with a CMR jacket. Heck, the PVC jacket may not pass any kind of vertical flame or smoke test, etc. I don't even see those on the U.S. Amazon site.

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
You shouldn't breakout the poe cable for power on a camera run because it will always make the camera unstable.
I think there are a lot of users here besides me who disagree with that statement. Splitting a 15 watt port to a Dahua non-PTZ camera and a 4-watt IR emitter is no problem whatsoever. If the camera's IR is shut off, it's about an even tradeoff with a 4-watt illuminator. A bigger illuminator pushes the port limits, especially with the cameras that cycle their IR lights on bootup.

rotation

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Reporting back, I purchased some LAN cables, the cable reads 24 gauge Cat 6.

I currently only connected one camera via a 24 gauge cable, removing the 32 gauge with the POE injector.

the camera still reboots randomly, a ping onto the camera is lost as well during this time. Is there a way to see the actual uptime of this specific cam?

tech_junkie

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Reporting back, I purchased some LAN cables, the cable reads 24 gauge Cat 6.

I currently only connected one camera via a 24 gauge cable, removing the 32 gauge with the POE injector.

the camera still reboots randomly, a ping onto the camera is lost as well during this time. Is there a way to see the actual uptime of this specific cam?
The easiest way is to put the camera on continuous recording and look where it stops recording.
I would log into the camera and see if the automatic rebooting is enabled.
POE Switch should be in "default" and not "extend"

Usually random reboots are from severe twist or kinks in the wire or camera leads
Does another camera do the same thing when put on the same cable?
If not, then there is something wrong with the camera. Either a setting (like reboot or a networking conflict) or something physically wrong (like the cpu's heatsink tab) or something electronically wrong.
Bad out of the box is rare, but it does happen.